Chapter 7

New Orleans - The compound

"So! Elijah! My dearest brother, how was your little quest, all good news I hope?" Klaus boomed enthusiastically as Elijah walked in through the over exaggeratedly large gates, but the smile on his face was immediately wiped away when he saw that his brother did not express the look of someone who had good news.

"What is it?" He asked, a stern tone added to his voice as well as his lips pressing into a thin line as he cursed his luck "have they declared war on us? Are we going to have to threaten them? Don't tell me you want to negotiate, I am in no mood for any negotiations" he carried on, filling a glass of bourbon and sipping lightly from it.

"No brother, the man who answered the door seemed rather polite if not a bit too smug, but they didn't seem hostile." Elijah replied, fixing himself a glass but not taking a drink and then standing beside Klaus.

"Then what's with the long face?"

Elijah shuffled uncomfortably, reaching into his pocket and slowly started to unfold the piece of paper.

"Well, the man at the door, Carter, he most certainly was not a witch, I'll have to speak to Marcel about any of his vampires with that name, however, he told me that they have it under control and the problem wouldn't have any time to get to this city, they would have dealt with it- her - before she could" Elijah said, passing the written side of the paper over to Klaus who wasn't really paying attention to what it was.

"And? Elijah do we need to work on your perception of good and bad news again because other than a possible vampire/witch conspiracy that can be easily solved, I don't see a problem there, the coven have found themselves in a bit of a pickle, and they're dealing with it" Klaus said, becoming irritated at his brother's inability to get to the point "stop being so vague, just tell me what the problem is"

"Well my dearest brother, I have a feeling that you might want their 'problem' to have time to get here, look at what I've given you" Elijah nodded to the paper in Klaus' hand and watched patiently and he read carefully the writing.

"'The pregnant vampire'-Elijah, the only child I care about is my Hope, whatever this vampire did to piss of these witches in none of my business"

"Turn it over Niklaus"

"If you say s-" Klaus couldn't believe his eyes, instantly so many memories and thoughts overwhelmed his mind, those blonde waves and pale cheeks that he knew so well were plastered onto the picture, the picture that stated that not only was she pregnant but also in danger. He knew that one day he'd be seeing her again, he made that blatantly clear, and although she may not even be coming to this city, Elijah was right, these witches had condemned her and her, children? (He'd have to ask about that) she had to be safe, he had to make certain that she was safe, and what safer a place to be than a compound with the original family and the big bad original hybrid,

At least he had a reason to call now.

He was snapped out of his little mind overload when Elijah placed the glass of bourbon, that he poured when he came in, into his hand as he had unknowingly dropped his own during his little mind skip, and then nodded a thank you to him.

"Now Niklaus, is it still none of your business, or shall I gather a few more vampires to investigate this coven, I'm sure you might want to make a call or two" Elijah said, quite smug that he'd proven his brother wrong, but underneath he was worrying, rather a lot in fact, as he knew that what isn't their problem now, was about to be added to their never ending list of problems and long story short, someone probably will die.

But there was something else that was itching the back of his mind, that Carter, he definitely wasn't a witch, but when he shook his hand, he didn't feel or smell anything vampire-like, or wolf-like, or nothing for that matter, in fact, he wasn't even sure that he heard a heartbeat, but he definitely did feel a very strong power, and that worried him even more.