Chapter Fifteen

I was living in Jasper's house this entire time.

The house where they were taken from was the same one they got trapped in. The illegal loaners had taken advantage of his house. They took advantage of their weakness. How could I have missed this factor? Why wasn't I able to put the pieces?

I stared at my house like it's a whole new different place now. This is not mine. The building in front of me was not supposed to be my property. I shut my eyes tightly and fell to my knees. Why is this happening? How could this happen?

I had various questions running in my head that I knew I would never get the answer to. "Ughhhh!!!" I grunted in anger. I wasn't precisely sure where my anger was pointed at. I was unsure if this fury was towards myself, or if it was targeted at primarily everything. I took a moment to process everything and allowed the anger to cool down. When I believed it did, I smacked the gravel and rose up.

Trying to identify any probable locations of Jasper's whereabouts was a difficult problem; I was entirely clueless. Apart from his own home—which was apparently mine now—I had no information left of him. I couldn't help but think of the possibility that someone took him again. He's gone because he's in danger. It was certainly possible in every way. He had to be taken. I wasn't careful enough.

Was it my fault?

I sank back to the floor when realization struck.

It was my fault. Why hadn't I woken up earlier? Why did I have to be unconscious in the hospital for two days? I would've saved him.

That's when I realized I was angry at myself.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I started smacking my forehead with the palm of my hand. Hatred for myself rose higher. I'm worthless. I'm useless. Apparently, I'm a pro at letting people down. I wasn't even able to get him out that damn room. When truly looking at it, he was the one who got us out. Not me! Now I've recklessly let him slip back in danger. I was careless. What's wrong with me?

I felt stupid, and physically, I bet it showed. A woman, probably in her mid thirties—a neighbour, I assumed—was walking her dog in her house shorts when she spotted my humiliating self, squatted on the floor.

"Is everything alright, Miss?" She asked kindly. Her dog started sniffing me.

I looked up at her and stared. It took me a moment before a question had fully formulated in my head. Therefore, without even answering her question, I shamelessly asked, "Do you happen to know the Lockwood family?"

"Oh," A smile crept on her face, "Before my mother passed, she used to be great friends with Granny Anna. The family bought her a new home a tricycle away down on Lington street. They didn't want her to be reminded of the loss. Do you know them?"

His grandmother.

She's the only person alive in his dysfunctional family. The last time I heard about this, I had no idea what to do with that certain information. However, right now, I knew it had a purpose. I suppose traveling to his grandmother to inform her about what happened was the wisest decision. Her poor, old mind must be depressed from losing both her daughter and grandson. She at least deserves to know that Jasper is alive, despite his whereabouts.

This neighbour however, seemed to lack knowledge about the disappearance of the Lockwood Family. She was talking about them as if they were still living in the house in front of us. I was secretly shaking my head inside.

"My deepest condolences." I paused, "But, uh, do you mind giving me the full address?"

She refused. "But I don't know you."