Chapter Eight

"You want me to describe to you what hell looks like?"

"That bad huh?"

He sighed, "Well, if I were to be honest, not really. It's just this ghastly feeling and existing negativity that circulates this room is what makes it the worst."

I understood him. I understood the pain that must've come together with this tragedy. It was a package deal. "So, it's just a normal room?" I confirmed.

"No," He paused, probably looking around. "It lacks light. I only have a single light bulb to illuminate this whole room. But it was enough for me to see the grey cement that failed to be painted over." I envisioned it in my head as he spoke. "Pipes were running across the room. In the ceiling, the walls. It's actually how I survived the past days since they left." He scoffed, "I managed to break through one of the pipes and drink from there. Without really thinking if it were clean or not." I didn't react or give comments as he told his narrative. I just let him talk. But deep inside, it slowly hit me that this may be the reason why the waters were running so low. "There are tinges of blood here and there. On this side, it was mine; but on the other was my mom's. I refused to leave this side ever since I saw her sitting at the other end, lifeless." Chills immediately rushed through my body that I had to cover my own arms. "There are also rose petals on that side." His voice was faint, but I assumed it was because he had his gaze locked on the other side. "When we were first brought here, they mockingly sprinkled rose petals over my mom. That was the first and last time I ever went to that corner." His voice faded, signalling me that he was finished.

I felt terrible. I asked him to describe to me what the room looks like but apparently it just brought back bitter memories. I'm so insensitive, damn it. I didn't mean to bring back the pain for the millionth time. "I'm here now." I said as comfort. Not like it could bring his mother back or erase everything that has happened.

"I actually wasn't sure if someone was in the house. I doubted it. I knew they were in hiding so it wasn't possible to have anyone occupy this home. I wasn't even sure if anyone was in the house since I struggled to hear anything from the outside. I just assumed there was someone when the waters started running again." He gave a tiny laugh to probably cover up how much it aches. "I was only able to confirm it when you screamed." I gave a light giggle and he supportedly laughed with me.

We sat there for at least a minute saying nothing and just enjoying each other's presence. I never thought I would be sharing this experience with someone whose existence I haven't even seen.

"How about you?" He finally spoke.

"What about me?"

"I want to hear about your life too." His voice was soothing like it was before. It was so comforting and light that it gave me assurance that sharing my life with him would be kept in the depths of his fragile heart.

So I did.

"Well I was born and raised in San Francisco."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm, and I actually liked living there. I had these great friends, I admired the moody temperature, and I felt free." I adjusted in my seat as I reminisced about how my life once was. "My parents decided to move back here after the 6th grade. It was difficult for me but I mean, here I am. They never let me down anyway."

"It always makes me feel good when I hear about complete families. Mine is so dysfunctional I think I might go mad."

"Yeah, I'm thankful me and my brother don't get to experience that."

"You have a brother?"

"Yup," I nodded, "He's 9. Do you?"

"No," His voice was sad. "I wanted a little sister when I was younger but they always seemed to refuse. Now I know why." He shrugged the thought away and picked himself back up into a happy tone. "I'm actually glad they didn't. I wouldn't want my baby sister to be trapped in this mess." I couldn't help but smile. It warmed my heart how much I could feel the love he had for his nonexistent sister. This just showed me how much of a caring person Jasper is.

"How many members of your family do you have left?" I accidentally asked and immediately swallowed it. I've badly got to work on my sensitivity radar. "Sorry." I instantly muttered.

"Oh it's okay." He assured, "I don't have any contact with my grandparents on my father's side. But on my mom's, I only have my grandma left. Love her to bits." I heard him give a sweet, soft giggle. "I miss her. She's the only one I have left."

I honestly felt relieved when I found out he had a grandmother left. What a shame would it be if he didn't have anyone else left to run to? Soon, one day, in the near future, I'll get him out.

We eventually said farewell later that day since I was called by my mom for dinner and I had a quick research to do for an assignment. I snuck back up with a can of tuna and a pack of oreos to give him. I asked for the bottles of water that I gave him the past days and refilled them back with water. I offered juice but he instantly declined, stating that he needed to make up for the amount of water he'd lost in his system.

School the next day was a bit better than usual. I was able to achieve the proper amount of sleep, which eventually led me to be less grumpy and more focused on discussions.

"Hey," Chast started as we both walked out the classroom for lunch.

"Hm?"

"You haven't been complaining recently about the noises in your house, it's a bit odd." Her voice sounded suspicious but she still had a smile on her face to contradict it.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. Oh no. I pretended I didn't hear her. We continued to walk until she eventually stopped in her tracks to face me, "El?" I did the same.

"Yeah?"

"Everything alright? Didn't you hear what I said?"

"Which one?"

"The noises in your house!" She repeated.

"What about it?" I acted innocent.

"It's weird that you haven't talked about it recently."

I made an "O" with my mouth and nodded, acting like I just got what she said. "Oh, well it doesn't happen anymore."

"You're telling me that so weirdly."

"How come?"

She tried to think of a reason but failed. "I- I don't know."

I took an inconspicuous deep breath in, "Oh don't worry Chast. I just wanted to fully confirm that it wouldn't come back, so I haven't told you yet that it's gone."

The look on her face confirmed that she bought my lie. She nodded her head and we continued to walk, "Oh okay, I was worried you might be possessed."

I broke into a laugh, "What?"

"Hey! Don't laugh. I've heard a lot of stories like that."

If only she knew. If only.

But she won't.