Chapter Ten

I wouldn't think it would take us this long to think of ways to get Jasper out of that room. It's been a week; the 26th to be exact. Jasper and I were speaking through the hole while eating our dinners. Yes, I was on the bathroom floor, eating my precious night time meal, in my precious PJs. Most people would probably find the fact of eating inside a place where you discharge—a.k.a shit and pee—gross. But I'm a complete and proud sicko who prefers to have company than have none. Jasper was—as usual—on the other side of the wall, eating the hotdogs which I managed to put in a plastic. I was able to squeeze three hotdogs per plastic in the hole. I eventually handed him two plastics of the hotdogs, together with rice. He commented on how much he missed this.

"You miss hotdogs?" I asked.

"No, rice and meat in general."

That week had been hectic since I had double weights on my shoulders. Jasper and I were exchanging ideas regarding his freedom, while I try my best to do it simultaneously with my stressful school work.

"How about we make a huge hole then just cover it up with a curtain or something?" He tried suggesting two days ago. But I insisted it was inadmissible.

It took us a terribly long while to come up with the most acceptable solution since school started kicking in for real and my works and tests were slowly piling up. My mom, on the other hand, managed to call me every single day since she left. Despite her work, man, she's definitely not backing down. She was always asking if I needed anything and was always concerned if everything was alright. I always had the same response.

I managed to ask Jasper that same day, two days ago, if he knew someone or rather trusted anyone to let them know about this situation. He instantly denied.

"Don't you have anyone to contact where you're from?"

He remained silent before answering, "Uh, no, I don't think so."

I was pushing my strained mind to come up with anything it can think of—any possible suggestion. I knew I was desperate for answers like he was. However, I ended up with nothing but a blank screen.

"Speaking of where you're from, where do you live?" I was able to ask out of curiosity.

"Where are we now?"

What? Why is he asking?

I was puzzled by his question that I had to confirm if I heard him right. "You're telling me you don't know where you were brought?"

"Not really."

That's odd. I immediately formulated my own theories. This guy could be from Mindanao, maybe a city boy, or possibly a native from some province. I wouldn't know. He doesn't even have an idea of where he was right now.

"We're in Manila Jas." I confirmed.

"Oh, then not that far probably."

I tilted my head, "Where are you from?"

"Manila as well."

"Manila's big Jas."

"I know, but it's closer than some province I assumed."

I nodded, agreeing with him. I had the same thoughts. Kidnappers usually transport their victims to somewhere further than where they caught them. It makes perfect sense since the victims would be harder to find. But his kidnappers apparently had something else in mind.

"I had a grayish house, I think. My memory hasn't been in a good condition lately sorry," He laughed when he said it. "What I do remember were our rich neighbours."