Chapter Five

I snapped out of my sense.

"Hold on," I told him while I exit the bathroom.

I was already walking through the bedroom door when I stopped midway as soon as a thought hit me. How do I give him the food exactly? I cautiously walked back in and talked to the wind, "Uhm, hello? Ghosty boy? Are you there?"

"You're talking to me right?" The voice answered.

"Uh, yes." I paused and stared at the floor, "How do I give you the food?"

"Well," He paused like he was in thought. "I actually tried kicking a tiny hole at the corner of the wall. If it's okay, could you please look at it and tell me if you see it?" He asked with a kind and calm voice.

I searched the bathroom for the hole he was referring to. I examined the whole wall on the side he was in and made sure I didn't skip a tile. I looked at it from top to bottom and from left to right. I couldn't find it.

"I-I don't see anything," I voiced out my own thoughts.

"Maybe something's blocking it? It's near this corner," He knocked and I followed the sound, "close to the floor."

I took a glance at the corner of the room where the tiny trash bin was sitting. I crouched down under the sink and found my spot on the floor. I removed the trash bin and was surprised to see the hole he was referring to. The hole was extremely small; it was tinier than a mouse's. No wonder I couldn't quite identify it. I tried to peek inside, but the hole was too tiny for me to even crouch down. I remain seated instead.

"Is this why I've been hearing banging at night?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Huh?"

"Nothing," I paused while examining the little hole, "I don't think food could fit in here."

"I know," His voice was suddenly sad, "But I thought, if I were able to do damage using only my feet and hands, I think we could make a bigger hole with a heavier tool."

I inspected the tiny hole with my fingers, "I'll see what I can do."

I gently stood up and fled the place without saying goodbye. I took each step of the staircase while contemplating my whole life. Am I really doing this? Is this really happening? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.

However, I eventually found myself searching for tools anyway. I'm no engineer and I'm definitely not good at fixing equipment, so breaking something was an equivalent to that of which I can't do. I eventually ended up with a hammer in hand. I tiptoed through the house, quietly so I wouldn't wake up my mother. The clock read 1:30. Seriously, what am I doing with my life?

I opened the fridge and got a variety of choices. I had spaghetti, pork chops, uncooked SPAM, and a whole bunch more. But none of them, I believe, would fit through the hole presented to me. Even though I do find the impossible strength to break it, I don't think I would be able to make it large enough to fit a whole darn plate inside. And to consider the other factor, my mother would eventually kill me if she sees I made an enormous hole in the bathroom wall to give food to my ghost friend.

I explored through the snack box and got probably the most decent answer I could find: Crackers. I took three packs of Skyflakes Crackers in my hand while I held onto the hammer with the other. I pressed a bottle of water in between my armpit as well, hopeful that it comforts the random dude. I found my way to tiptoe up the staircase and back into the bathroom.

"Ghosty boy?" I called out.

"Oh great you're back! Hello!!" He said so freaking politely that I feel like I could just smack a hole in the wall using my bare hands.

I nodded my head, not like he could see me. "I got a hammer. Do you think that will work?"

"Definitely!" He sighed in relief, "Thank you so much for doing this."

I didn't respond but rather crouched back down under the sink. I placed the Skyflakes and bottled water down the floor and positioned the hammer at one of the edges of the tiny hole. I gripped the hammer with two hands—not like it would contribute to the factor of making it bigger—then I started smashing the wall with full force. I smashed and smashed until I believed it was big enough for the bottle of water and Skyflakes to fit through. I guess I found my new job.

"Here," I reached the first pack of Skyflakes in the hole, and something from the other side immediately grabbed it from me. He is real. I heard the packaging immediately being torn off and I could hear the crunch of the crackers.

I secretly felt bad for him and what he was going through. Who knows how long this kid has been trapped there? Who knows why? These are questions that immediately needed answers. I'm just not quite sure if I'm ready to hear it at this time of night when I have a quiz tomorrow on a subject that I burden.

"Here's some more," I slid the remaining two crackers inside, "and this one." I placed the bottle of water inside as well.

I could almost feel like he was crying as he munched through the crackers. My tiny heart slowly felt like it was about to break if I were in any way insufficient. "Is that enough or do you need more? That's the only decent thing I could find that would possibly fit in a hole."

"No thank you, this is the most I've eaten in a week" I felt goose bumps rush through me, "But it would be great if I had some more in the morning. If that's okay."

If that's okay??? IF THAT'S OKAY? This kid is starving to death and he's asking me "if it's okay" if I gave him food??? Now I feel a bit bad for not being kind enough to him. I mean, I haven't been rude or whatsoever, but I certainly have not been the "approachable type" I thought I was. It was probably because I was used up and just needed the comfort of my own bed.

"Of course, of course." I paused, gathering my own thoughts. Then there was an uncomfortable silence. "How are you?" I awkwardly asked while I sat on the bathroom floor with my knees pressed to my chest.

"I'm great now, thank you." I heard him move and suddenly, his voice was closer, "Have you heard my smacking on the wall and screams for help?" He had scooted over to the hole where I was.

"You have no idea,"

"I'm sorry if I scared you or anything. I just needed to call for somebody's attention." His voice faded, "I just didn't want to die."

I remained silent when he replied. His voice sounded so fearful that even I was scared for him.

My eyes suddenly felt heavier and heavier as the minutes ticked. I could feel my eyes dropping from how drained I was. It wasn't till he called my attention when I realized I had fallen asleep. "Hello??? Are you still there?"

"Wh- Uh- Yes, yes." I snapped back to my senses, "Sorry."

"Did you fell asleep?"

"I- Uhm—"

"Oh, goodness, what time is it?" He sounded disappointed in himself, "I didn't know, I'm sorry, please take a rest now. I wouldn't be making any more noises from now on. I'm so sorry."

"Aww, please stop saying sorry." I swallowed my guilt, "It's almost two a.m."

"Oh dear, go to bed now. I'll still be here by tomorrow."

"I'm so sorry. I've been up all night reviewing since I have a quiz tomorrow." I slowly sat up, "I'll be back tomorrow, I promise. Mind telling me about yourself when I come home from school?"

"Most certainly." His voice was so soothing that instead of feeling frightened about our situation, I felt safe. "Good Night, uhm—"

"—Eleanor" I continued.

"Good Night, Eleanor."

"And you?"

"Jasper."