Kairi & Erik Chapter 4 Part B

This ones a little sad but I still like it. Comment and vote!

Chapter 4 Continued...

That day was the beginning of it. After that it seemed like Erik was finding ways to 'accidently' run into me everywhere, at the supermarket, in school, just out and about in town. Of course I would see him every Saturday but then we were taking care of the kids so even though I loved that time too I like it better when it was just us. Every time I left home I was bound to bump into him. I loved these times because often it was just me and him alone and he would act natural, joke with me ask me how I was doing, how my grandfather was. He always seemed to know the right thing to say. Yet if I saw him at school the next day I'd merely get a head nod in my direction. It was like we had a secret friendship going on that for whatever reason he didn't want anyone else knowing about. Was he ashamed of me? I didn't think so or at least there was more to it than that. I found myself savoring these moments and surprisingly I knew that if this was all I could ever have with him I would rather have this than nothing. So I went along with it. I would ignore him in the halls and then when we just happened to meet I would pick up with him where we left off last time.

School was all a blur unless Erik was there. I couldn't remember what had happened at the last class I had taken much less the whole school day. Lunch was the highlight of the day. He was so close and even though he didn't talk to me I could hear him talk to the others and he could hear me. This was how he'd know what my plans for the next day were. I'd say I had to run errands at the supermarket that afternoon after school and look slyly over towards him to see if he was listening. He didn't actually look at me but he'd have his head inclined in my direction and I'd know he'd heard and sure enough later that day he'd just 'happen' to bump into me at the store. Then we'd talk and I'd take an exorbitant amount of time just to pick up some orange juice and bacon or whatever other excuse I'd told my Dad to go out. I knew my Dad was suspicious that I was secretly dating someone but he never actually questioned me on it and I didn't give any explanation for being gone two hours to pick up two items.

On one particular day I had something a little different to tell Erik and I wanted to tell him in person. I tried in vain all day at school to catch him alone so I could speak to him.

I was going away for a week. I had been bugging my Dad to let me go to see my grandpa. He was out of the hospital now and I really wanted to visit him. Out of habit I had brought it up again this morning and apparently finally convinced my Dad to let me go to visit him for a while. I had a suspicion that he had been planning to let me go anyway as everything was all set at school and usually they liked to have notice ahead of time.

I was excited about seeing my grandfather for despite the distraction Erik was providing I was still very worried about him and as great as Anne's updates were about his health I wanted to see him for myself. That was where I felt I belonged anyways. However I knew not seeing Erik for a whole week was going to be hard too. He was already a solid part of my day. Right up there with eating and sleeping was making an excuse to see Erik and I felt that he should know that I wasn't going to be around for a while.

I felt strangely nervous as I went to my usual spot in the cafeteria hoping that somehow Erik would show up early just this once and I could tell him myself without having to say it to someone else and hope that he overheard. As everyone started sitting down with no Erik in site my hopes were dashed. The conversation flowed around me as I waited anxiously for him to show up. Finally with relief I felt a tingle in my skin that same spark and I looked over to see him settling in.

"Oh" I said interrupting someone I realized but persevering forward nonetheless now that everyone was paying attention.

"I'm going to be gone for a week starting tomorrow." I felt a thrill as Erik's head came up against his will and he glanced sharply at me.