Kairi & Erik Chapter 2 part b

Chapter 2 cont...

I woke up later without even realizing that I had fallen asleep. As images of a pair too green eyes faded I looked over at the clock to see that it was 7:00 p.m. I groaned inwardly. I had missed supper and my Dad had had to eat all by himself. Anne was in Florida visiting her mother. I sat up and felt a fleece blanket slide off me. I smiled down at it. My Dad had come in to check on me. I hadn't been sleeping well lately and I had needed this sleep. My stomach growled then reminding me that I hadn't eaten since lunch today on the rooftop... still couldn't avoid the thought of him. I got up with a sigh and headed downstairs to see what I could scrounge up.

I arrived at school promptly on time the next day and then lagged at my locker putting off going to class and seeing him. I had waited so long that I had to rush to class to make it on time. As I walked in my eyes were automatically drawn to where he would be sitting but he wasn't there. Surprised I looked around the room to see him sitting on the opposite side of the room next to Amy. His eyes seemed to unconsciously gaze at mine then look away with an angry look blazing deep in them. With my cheeks burning I walked to my desk and sat down. All the questions from yesterday resurfaced in my mind but I beat them back down. Well if he was going to pretend like we'd never met so would I. I made it through class and Jenna met me outside the room again.

"So you and Erik aren't going to be A & P partners any more" was the first questions out of her mouth.

"No" I said sounding angrier than I had meant to. As much as I'd tried to ignore it I had been hoping that Amy had been lying and now that she'd been proven right I was surprised to find out that I was little hurt.

"Oh" she said eyeing me with a slightly surprised look.

"It's fine" I said trying to cover my tracks "he fits in more with Amy's crowd anyway" but I was lying. As I said this I felt something like a spark run across my skin and looking over I saw Erik walking out of the room with Amy hanging all over him. Surprisingly he looked annoyed and kind of bored. While he certainly was out of my league he was still seemed way above Amy's too. As he walked passed me he seemed to twitch and paused for a fraction of a second his eyes starting to look sideways but then he yanked them back and turned his head toward Amy as if he were trying to keep himself from looking at me. My eyes followed him as he walked away down the hall. It was completely illogical, this fascination I seemed to suddenly have of him. He hadn't exactly been nice to me but somehow it all seemed like he was trying too hard, putting on act but what I couldn't figure out was who for.

"Hey" I heard a boyish voice say. I turned around to see Zach staring at me. "So I hear you don't have a partner for the project yet right." What, I wondered, was he trying to rub it in or something? When I didn't respond he looked a little unsure of himself.

"So do you want to be my partner" he said looking slightly sheepish. Was he serious I wondered? We'd been in school together since middle school and now he wanted to what, be friends with me.

"Um" I replied "shouldn't you be asking Amy that question."

"If I wanted to ask Amy I would have" he said looking at me strangely "besides Amy's Erik's partner now, which made me assume that you were looking for a partner too." What, was he trying to do get me to join the cast offs club or something.

"Uh sure Zack" I said. At least this way I'd have a partner that I knew.

"Okay" he said "great" with a big relieved smile on his face. "So I'll catch you later" he said backing away.

"Kay" I said my mind already spinning off in another direction to a different boy that had asked me the same question.

"OMG" said Jenna "Zack is totally crushing on you!"