Chapter 14

(Harry's POV)

 The ride back to Holmes Chapel was nice. I slept for the most part; keeping my head against my pillow so that when my mother hit a bump on the rode I wouldn’t hit my newly reinjured ear on the car window. When there were about thirty minutes left in our trip I started to recognize the scenery and my heart jumped. I hadn’t been home in so long and I missed it. There was something about sleeping in an all too small bed and eating my mum’s home cooking that made me smile. After the thirty minutes passed my mother pulled into the driveway. The house looked just as I had left it, only the leaves from the surrounding trees had fallen into the yard. I would clean them up while I was home but it would be sort of hard since raking and hobbling on crutches requires a skill that I didn’t have.

My mother parked the car just outside out garage and opened her door. I attempted to get the door open on my side and slide out of the car, but she was there before I could even move an inch. She had my crutches in her hands and opened the door handing them to me one at a time. “Thanks.” I mumbled under my breath.

She held her hand on my back the entire time up to the door until it opened and Robin stood there, a smile on his face. He started to say something, but then stopped suddenly, his face twisting with concern. He turned to my mom who frowned back at him. He then moved out of the way and let me inside while patting me on the shoulder. I figured my mother told him about my hearing problem and he had a momentary lapse in memory.

The familiar smell of my house eased my nerves. I crutched over to the couch in the family room and plopped down on the cushions. Robin was gone for a little bit, but came back in with my bags. He pointed at them and looked at me with a questioning look. I shrugged. I wasn’t sure where they wanted to put them. It wasn’t like I could make it up the stairs ten or more times a day. It was either that or I stayed there indefinitely. Robin shrugged and laughed, setting the bags down in the family room. My mother stood beside him and held my white board in her hands. She briefly explained the workings to Robin and he nodded.

Just lie down and rest, Harry. I’m going to start dinner.

My mother set the board down on our coffee table and handed me the remote and my pillow from the car. I put it at one end of the couch and raised my newly casted leg up onto the couch carefully. I pulled my phone from my pocket and contemplated for a few moments before shutting it off. I seriously meant it when I decided that this would be my time to heal.

I guess this is goodbye for now.

--

(Zayn's POV)

So as far as I can tell, Harry is dead. Well, maybe not dead dead, but at least dead to the world. No one has spoken to him in nearly two months. Well, no one other than Paul who was keeping tabs on his recovery. He would update us weekly about what’s going on. We had a meeting with management after the interview that happened a week after Harry left. Harry was supposed to come back after the two weeks, but, well, he just didn’t.

“So….” I blew out a heavy breath.

“Yeah…. So….” Louis mimicked me. We sat in his flat playing videogames all day. Paul kept telling us to leave the whole Harry thing alone, but he was our mate. We were genuinely worried about him. He wouldn’t answer his phone. Louis tried calling Anne, but it went to voicemail.

“Think he’ll ever come back?” I asked. Louis shrugged. I huffed in annoyance and paused the game. “Paul said his hearing is back in his one ear. So there’s that.” I said pacing around Louis’ flat, picking up the trash that accumulated while we lounged about all day. “His other ear is probably getting there too.”