Chapter 13

(Harry's POV)

When I woke up I felt a strange tugging sensation on the left side of my face. I lifter my hand up, realizing there were wires and a pulse monitor attached to my hand.

Hospital?

Well, I do remember the intense pain after that girl snapped those dreadful earmuffs back against my head. Must have needed that surgery anyways. Good thing I signed the papers way back saying that if need be, to get the surgery. There was a risk though, and that was complete hearing loss. I hoped that wasn’t the case in my situations, but I didn’t find out until the doctor walked into my room, followed by Paul and Preston. The guys were nowhere to be seen and that bothered me. They were family, they were allowed in. The look on Paul’s face told me that he was in no mood to deal with the five of us in one small room. He came up to the side of my bed while Preston stood guard at the door. He placed a hand on my shoulder and tried to give a smile. He then lifted his other hand and gave me a thumbs up. That was strange. My brows furrowed in confusion as he grabbed the white board that was placed on my bedside table. He held it up after writing on it for a few minutes. His lips pursed, most likely trying to find the right words to say.

Your left ear took some more damage and they had to go in for surgery and repair the ear drum and some of the bones that were shifted around.

That would explain the hospital. I was right about the surgery. I kept on reading.

The doctor said that your left ear should be back to full working condition in about a month.  

Wait, a month? When I first came in after the crash they told me my ears would heal naturally within three to four months along with my leg. How come if would take a shorter time to recover this time around? Medical miracles? Had to be. I sat up quickly, surprised at the information, but instantly regretted the action. My head spun, as did the room around me. Paul reached out and placed me back down on the bed. Vertigo. One of the symptoms I read about after having ear surgery, along with some stuff that was going to ooze out of my ear.  Great. It was gross to think about, but it was all a part of healing right?

I don’t know how much longer I was in the hospital, but Paul wanted for me to stay for a while and I found out the reason when nearly three hours passed and my mum came bursting into the room. Her face was frantic as she looked at me lying there in the bed. The back of the bed was raised slightly so that I could watch, at least try to, the television. She came up to me and placed her hands on either side of my face, pulling her one hand away when she saw the stitches just behind my ear. I was on so many pain medications that I couldn’t even feel her touch there. Her lips moved, obviously trying to ask me a question, but due to the lack of hearing, I couldn’t understand hand and therefor couldn’t answer.

“Hey mum.” I croaked out. My throat was dry and scratchy. I was only allowed to sip water because gulping down would possibly pop my eardrum and but open the work they had just done. She sat softly on the edge of my bed. Paul showed her the white board and I bet he explained the situation to her when they conversed with each other for a few minutes before she turned her attention back to me. Her hand shook when she wrote down on the white surface.

How are you feeling? She asked. I shrugged and she stifled a laugh. Her hand grazed my cheek and she smiled sadly. I’m glad you’re going to be all right, baby. She leaned forward and placed akiss on my forehead. She took one last look at me before getting up from the bed and leaving the room to talk to Paul and Preston. I watched from my hospital bed as she flung her arms around and shouted. I didn’t have to hear what she was saying to know that she was yelling at them for everything that happened. But really, this part of the whole ordeal was my fault. I wanted to fresh air. Niall just went along with it. Hopefully he didn’t get yelled at too much.