6. "Can I Have This Dance?"

4 years before the accident

I sat with my drink in hand and watched as Luke talked and laughed with his family. I gave him a smile every time he looked over at me, and I was fine, really, he was with his family.

But then they brought a girl over and I just managed to hear a bit of their conversation. They were trying to get Luke and the girl together.

She was pretty. Definitely better than me. My smile turned into a frown and I looked down at my hands. I knew this would happen eventually.

A boy who can't admit he's gay, obviously has some doubts, or he's just experimenting. I blinked back a few tears. I guess this was the end of Luke and Ashton.

But then a slow dance came on and I looked up to see Liz push them together, obviously trying to get them to dance. Luke looked uncomfortable as he put his hands on the girls waist.

His eyes met mine and he searched my face before I looked away. I set my drink down and got up from my seat. I told him I didn't want to come to this wedding, I didn't want him to introduce me as one of his friends, I wanted him to introduce me as his boyfriend. I guess I should've known.

I walked outside and not soon after Luke joined me. "Ashton, hey what're you doing out here?" I shrugged.

"I think I'm gonna head home. You know, I don't really know many people here and you should...you should just stay and have fun." I say, taking a deep breath.

He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion and I went to walk away when he grabbed my arm. "It's not fun without you here." He pouts and I can't seem to make myself smile at him.

"Well try. Maybe that girl can help you out, she's pretty, you guys look good together." I say coldly, I finally gave him a smile but it was full of emotion, happiness definitely not one of them.

"Ashton..." he says, trailing off. I pull my arm from his grip and he smiles at me. "She's just a friend." I shake my head.

"Yea...but some day, your gonna find a pretty girl and then she won't be 'just a friend' anymore." He furrows his eyebrows again.

"What do you mean?" He asks and I sigh.

"I think we both know that I was just an experiment and some day your gonna find someone-a girl- who's gonna make you forget all about me." My eyes tear up again and Luke shakes his head at me.

"Is that what you think?" He asks incredulously. I just shrug my shoulders and look at my feet. He walks forward so he's right in front of me and lifts my chin up. "I love you Ashton. I'm never gonna stop loving you. Your my best friend and my soulmate all in one and that's pretty fucking awesome. I'll always belong to you, I'll love you forever." He cups my cheeks and leans down to softly kiss me on the lips.

Then he gives me his famous smirk and grabs my hand, dragging me back inside. "Luke..." I whine but he just cuts me off.

"Come on. We're gonna have some fun."

I sigh and when he drags me back in, there's another slow song playing. He looks at me with a big smile. "Can I have this dance?" He asks cutely and my eyes widen.

"L-Luke this is a slow dance." I say with wide eyes and he shrugs.

"And?"

"Your parents will see." I explain and he shrugs again.

"Good, then they'll know that I have the best boyfriend in the world and that I love you." He starts pulling me towards the middle of bodies swaying back and forth, I'm stumbling over my feet, still a little stunned.

"You didn't want your parents to know you were gay though." I say wearily as he puts his hands on my waist.

"Well I don't care anymore. I love you and I don't care what people think, as long as people know your mine." He says and I put my arms around his neck.

I smile so wide it hurts but I don't care.

"Well this is definitely a way to come out to your parents." I chuckle and he gives me a dimply smile.

He looks over my head at someone and I look back to see his parents staring at us. "Luke you don't have-" he cuts me off by pressing his lips to mine and I couldn't be happier as I went on my tip-toes slightly to kiss him better due to him being taller than me.

When he pulls away I smile and rest my forehead against his. "Did I mention you look really hot in a suit?" I ask and he laughs.

"I think you might've a few times." He chuckles. I laugh with him and the song ends. He intertwines our hands and pulls me over to where his parents are staring at us intently.

"Mom, dad, this is Ashton..." Luke starts and I give him a confused look, they know who I am, I'm his 'best friend'. "My boyfriend." Luke finishes and they stay silent. I look at him with complete love in my eyes.

His mom finally lets out a loud laugh and hits his father in the shoulder. "You owe me 20 bucks!" Luke starts laughing and so do I.

The rest of the night was amazing. I finally had my boyfriend tell others that I was his. He didn't introduce me as his 'friend' but his boyfriend after that night.

I couldn't be happier.