2. "It Reminded Me Of You"

5 years, 2 months before the accident

"Ashton!" Luke called and I turned to see him jogging over to me. I smiled as he caught up to me and he put his arm around my shoulder.

"So, I was thinking we could hang out today after school," I nod my head, I had a huge crush on him, why would I give up a chance to hang out with him?

He smiles. "Great, I'll see you later."

"Yeah, meet me back here?" I asked and he nodded, giving me a quick hug before running off to his first class.

Man I hate how he can make my heart beat this fast, just by a simple touch.

-

"Look at the penguin! It's so cute!" Luke shrieked as he jumped up and down slightly, like a little kid. I laughed as he gushed over the stuffed animal but agreed with him.

"Come on! Let's go get ice cream," I say when I snap out of my daydream.

He nods and glances back at the store as we walked away. I made a mental note to come back later to get the penguin for him.

We got our ice cream after looking for the ice cream stand for hours, thanks to Luke's terrible navigation skills, even though it was only a street away from the store we were at.

I giggled as he licked his ice cream messily and got it all over his face. "Luke we didn't get napkins did we?" I asked and he shook his head.

"You've always been the messiest out of your family...and our friends." I laugh and he pouts.

"Shut up." He lightly pushes my shoulder and I smile, finishing up my ice cream as he gets up.

"Stay here. I'll go get us some napkins." I nod and he walks off. I wait for 15 minutes before I pull my phone out to text him. It doesn't take that long to get napkins, especially when the ice cream stand is only a 1 minute walk from where we are sitting.

I hit send when suddenly he's in front of me. I shriek a little and he laughs. He has his hands behind his back and I raise my eyebrow.

"What're you hiding?" I ask, he smiles and pulls his hands away to show me. He has the penguin from before and I giggle.

"You really wanted that, didn't you?" I ask and he shrugs.

"I got it for you. You said you liked it and it reminded me of you." I blush, because if I remember correctly he had said that it was cute when he first saw it in the window.

"Thank you. And how do I resemble a penguin?" I ask as I take it from him. He shrugs, sitting next to me.

"You're cute and cuddly."

I blush a brighter red and look down at the stuffed animal in my hands.

"Ashton?" He asks and lifts my face up.

"Yeah?" I breathe.

"I need to tell you something." He says nervously and I tilt my head to the side slightly.

"What is it?" I ask, my blush finally fading.

"I know we've been friends for a couple years and I don't want this to ruin it...but I like you. Like a lot. Like more than friends. In like a I would like you to be my boyfriend way." He rambles with a slight blush on his cheek.

I smile and giggle. "It's okay Lukey, I get it." He nods but gulps, not smiling. "I like you too. Like in a I want you to be my boyfriend way also."

He smiles so wide it looks like it hurts and grabs my hand.

"Does this mean you want to go on date with me?" He asks enthusiastically and I nod, the smile not leaving my face.

He leans forward slightly and sighs.

"Screw it." He mumbles, bringing his lips to mine. I smile into the kiss and when he pulls away, he laughs breathlessly. "I've always wanted to do that."

I smile even wider, this day couldn't get any better.