9. "I Saved A Piece For You"

3 years and 2 months before the accident

The crowd was crazy. People were running around, laughing and talking. I didn't know anyone but Luke and a few of his co-workers. I didn't have to worry about being that significant other that stood in the corner awkwardly the whole time. Luke kept a hand around my waist as he walked around introducing me to everybody.

I didn't really like crowds much but this was fun. I loved how enthusiastic Luke was about having me meet the people he works with. When I asked, all he said was; "I'm just happy you get to finally meet the people I tell stories about all the time. I'm glad you're even more involved in my life, it makes me happy." That had earned him a big kiss because I couldn't help myself, he was so cute.

Amidst all the crazy, I ended up talking to Michael alone while Luke went to get a drink. Michael was one of the only co-workers that Luke was actually friends with. So I knew him very well, he basically lived at our house at this point.

"So how are you liking everyone so far?" Michael asked, leaning against the wall and looking out into the crowd of people.

"It's a lot. But you know, it's fun. I'm glad Luke's having a good time too." I answer, following Michael's gaze into the crowd to see Luke coming towards us with a drink in one hand and a plate in the other.

"I saved a peice for you! They would have been gone by the time you went up there." Luke laughed as he handed the plate over to me. His hand lingered longer on mine as he gave me a wide smile in satisfaction. I looked down and instantly smiled wider. It was a plateful of chocolate covered Strawberries. My favorite.

"This is a little more than a piece, it looks like the whole tray." I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out of me. The look of pride on Luke's face was too much. Michael looked down and joined in when he saw the mound of food I was holding.

"I'll help with that." Michael muttered, leaning over and plucking a few off my plate. He brought one to his mouth and sighed in delight. "These are amazing."

Luke's warm gaze turned to a glare as he slapped Michael's hand away from stealing more. "Those are Ashton's! Go get your own." He complained. I shook my head and watched as him and Micheal started arguing. There was no real menace behind their words, their body language told me they were just messing around.

But I set the plate down on the mini end table next to me anyway. Luke's hand fit right into mine as I grabbed it gently, rubbing patterns into his shoulder. "Babe, the whole tray is on my plate." I repeated with emphasis. Luke smiled down at me goofily and shrugged. He couldn't seem to help the lovesick looks he kept sending me.

I was in over my head with this boy, and I didn't even know it.