Chapter 43: Come Home

~from Levi's POV~
What does our dad have to do with this? "(Y/n), you need to tell me what's going on," I said, trying to keep calm, but it was a futile effort. I could hear my heartbeat raging in my ears. I sat down in an attempt to mute it.
She shook her head. "It's nothing," she said, her eyes closed so I couldn't read them for lies. "Really."
I didn't need to see her eyes to tell when she was hiding something, though. I leaned forward, grabbing her wrists, and her eyes flew open in surprise.
"Levi-"
"(Y/n), tell me what happened," I said, my eyes narrowed and my heartbeat becoming deathly still to my ears as I honed in on my anger to give me focus. "What did Dad do to you?"
She tugged at her wrists, but when I didn't loosen my grip, she looked away. "Not what you're thinking. It wasn't as bad as that."
Thank God. Haizaki popped up in my mind, and I forced him out. "(Y/n), what did he do?"
"It's not a big deal-" she began, but I tightened my grip, and she winced in pain as she received my silent message: Tell me, or it's only going to hurt a lot worse. "You know how Dad left Mom for Himuro's mom?"
I nodded, and she continued.
"I'm not sure why, but she always hated me," she said softly. "I think because- because I reminded her of Mom." She was quiet a moment before continuing. "When I first went to live with Dad, he was really nice and understanding. He made time for me and asked about my day. You know. Little things. And even though they weren't necessarily important," she said, and paused, "they meant a lot to me. I didn't have anyone else. But then..." She sighed, her head dipping a bit. "But then Dad started spending more and more time with her. He still asked about my day, but it was on his way to grab his jacket on his way out the door. He began inviting her over, and he told me to be nice, but even though I tried, she always glared at me and told Dad that she wanted to be alone with him, not playing babysitter for some pesky little brat. So at first, he apologized to me...and then, it became an expectation that my presence would disappear for a few hours...Little bit by little bit, she took him away from me."
I let go of her wrists, and she rubbed her eyes before going on. "I don't know why, but Dad really liked her. He wanted to get remarried, but she said that she wouldn't marry him if she had to take partial custody for me, too. She said- she said that she already had Himuro; that was enough to carry on the family name. Any more kids would just be surplus population." She swallowed, and I curled my hands into fists, although I didn't let her see. "So for a while, she refused to even see him. Dad got mad. He- he stopped going to work for a few days, and then they fired him." The words were becoming harder for her now. I wanted to tell her that it was all right; she didn't have to tell me, but...I needed to know. I needed to know just how much more to hate my father. "He started drinking, not a lot, but I'd never seen him drink before. 'Not a lot' soon became 'heavily,' and he was drunk at home a lot more often. That's around when- when he started hitting me."
My breaths became short and angry, and (y/n) could sense my tension and quickly tried to subdue it.
"It didn't happen a lot," she said quickly. "Only a few times. I figured out how to tell when I should hide, and after a while, Himuro's mom called Dad, and she said that she would consider his offer if he prioritized her over me. She said that she didn't want to 'share him' or something." (Y/n) blinked quickly, most likely trying to stop tears. "So Dad sobered up, found a new job, and went back to his old life - only, he cut me out of it. He left early for work and came home late from his lover's, and he only spoke to me to tell me that he'd be gone for an extended amount of time." She was silent for a long moment. "That's when Himuro found me," she whispered. "Dad and Himuro's mom would go to hotels for the weekend, and I'd be left at home. I'm not sure how he knew, but on one of those weekends, Himuro showed up at the door. He- he saved me," she said quietly, bowing her head, and for once, I didn't hate Himuro for trying to take my place.
If anything, I felt utterly ashamed that I wasn't there, that I hadn't stepped up and become man of the house, the kind of man who protects him family - especially the family members that aren't strong enough to fend for themselves. But I can still become that man, I thought. I'll redeem myself. I'll do it for you, (y/n), because you're the only one I have left to protect. I won't fail you again.

Overprotective: AOT/KNB Crossover [Reader x Eren]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara