Chapter 30: Rivals on the Court and Off

~from (y/n)'s POV~
Their sense of teamwork was, in a word, awful. Horrible. Void.
And yet...
You felt bad for Furihata and Koganei. Despite the fact that neither Levi nor Eren had ever formally played basketball before, they were really...into it.
"Who said you could walk?" Levi snapped at Eren, who was jogging next to him as they switched to defense.
"I'M NOT WALKING, ASSHOLE!" Eren yelled, darting ahead and quickly stealing the ball, starting a fast break for team B's offense.
"Who's slacking now?" Eren spat out, and Levi glared at him.
"GIVE ME THE DAMN BALL, KID!"
"WHO'S A KID?"
Still, Eren passed to Levi, who made a beautiful three.
"Not bad," Eren said reluctantly, and Levi gave him a death stare.
"NOT BAD? I don't see you doing anything worthwhile!"
"HEY! I'M JUST AS GOOD AS YOU ARE!"
"REALLY? THEN PROVE IT, BRAT!"
The game that was supposed to be between teams A and B ended up as more of a one-on-one between Levi and Eren, only they scored for the same team.
Mayuzumi just kind of disappeared from your sight, so you weren't even fully sure if he was on the court at all, and although Sakurai made a few threes, Levi and Eren were overwhelming the game.
The end score was 52 - 8, team B.
Even though Armin signaled for the game to end, Levi and Eren were still shouting at the center line.
"What did I tell you earlier?"
"I don't know! Who listens to guys like you?" Eren asked back, clearly exasperated.
"I said that if we lost, I was going to kill you, brat!"
"BUT WE DIDN'T LOSE! WE WON!"
"OH, IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK?"
"YEAH, DUMBASS!"
Levi narrowed his eyes. "You're dead."
"BUT WE WON, LEVI! CALM DOWN!"
"You're screaming in my face, freak! How am I supposed to calm down?!"
Moving quickly, you rushed towards them and stood between the two of them, facing Levi first (since he seemed the most dangerous in the moment). "Levi~ You can't kill people, okay?" you asked, holding your hands up defensively.
"Why not?" he asked.
Holy crap, he's serious! You fumbled for an excuse - any excuse. "B-because we're in the middle of school! Y-you c-can't just g-go around k-killing people in p-public!"
He stared at you for a long moment before nodding and looking down.
That was a close one! you thought, sighing in relief - until he opened his mouth.
"You're right, (y/n). There's too many witnesses." He glared at Eren, but there was a cold gleam of calculation in his eyes. "What route do you take on your way home?"
"Eeek! Levi!" you yelped, waving your hands nervously, and you blurted out the only thing you could think of. "Fish are friends, not food!"
He frowned, confused. "Fish? What fish? Where?"
Eeep! "N-never mind, Levi." You glanced over your shoulder at Eren. "L-look, you should maybe probably go."
"(Y/n), are you going to be okay?" Eren asked, ignoring my advice and actually taking a step closer. "You know, going home with that psychopath."
He said it while smiling at you, but you sensed him mentally glaring at Levi, and you could just feel the waves of hatred coming off of Levi.
"Well, (y/n) is going to be coming home with me because she lives with me, you simpering idiot," Levi snapped, grabbing my wrists and pulling me towards him. "Besides, where else can she go? To stay with you?"
Eren glared at while Levi while blushing, but you couldn't fathom why. "W-w-well-"
Levi grinned evilly, victorious. "That's what I thought, brat." Levi turned, still gripping your wrists as he led you toward the doors. "We're going home, (y/n)."
"Eeeeeh? But the tryouts aren't finished-"
You looked over your shoulder desperately as you were forcefully led away to see Hanji waving at you. "It's all cool, (y/n)! You can be our manager! And both Eren-chan and Heichou are on the team, maybe even as starters!"
"Don't call me Eren-chan!" Eren called out, sweat-dropping.
"Don't call me He-Hei-that!" Levi snapped, glaring at Hanji before looking down at the hands that were restraining your wrists. "Tch. Such a bother," he said, and you sighed, thinking that he was going to let you go, but then he hoisted you over his shoulder and strode toward the gymnasium doors.
"L-L-Levi! P-put me d-d-down!!" you squeaked out to Hanji's overt amusement.
"You can't keep up with me, stubby legs," he said pushing open the doors and walking outside. "You're too slow. You'd only be a bother."
"B-but- other people are looking at us weird!" you said, closing your eyes as though pretending that the people staring at you guys were nonexistent.
"So what," he said, sounding bored. "Let them stare. This is your punishment."
"What do I have to be punished for?!" you yelped. "I didn't doooo anything!"
"Just shut up and stop squirming," he commanded with such authority that you immediately obeyed.
When he got to his apartment, he finally set you down, staring at you.
"What?" you asked, wincing.
"How do you feel?" he asked, his voice strict.
"Embarrassed!" you murmured. "Please don't do that, Levi!"
He smirked. "I'll do whatever I want, whenever I want."
"Is that really necessary?" you asked, and he rolled his eyes, walking back out the door. "Hey! Where are you going?"
He waved halfheartedly over his shoulder without bothering to turn and face you directly. "Just an errand. I'll be back by dinner." Now he looked over his shoulder, his eyes narrowed and intensely glaring at you. "And don't take so much as five steps towards the oven, or I'm getting a restraining order to separate you from my kitchen."
"EEEK?!"
Then he was gone.
***
You sat on your bed - Levi's bed - tired but slightly flushed. Maybe being manager...
...would be fun...

~from Levi's POV~
I couldn't bring myself to tell her why I carried her home. It was (y/n)'s secret, after all, the one she didn't want me to know...
...but I know that my little sister is dying a little more every day. How am I supposed to deal with it?
And then when we got back home, her face was pink, and the first thing I thought was that maybe she had a fever. A fever wasn't necessarily dangerous to me, but...
...a little fever could be all that was between my little sister and me living a life alone again, as I've been doing. Just one fever is all it might take to blot her out on the world's record of existence.
The thought scared me more than I could ever possibly let on.
I stopped walking when I came to the bridge that overlooked the river near my apartment, and I watched the water cascading underneath.
(Y/n) would probably love the view.
"Damn it," I muttered, clenching my fists around the railing. "Why do I have to be so damn helpless?"
A few moments later, I sensed someone stopping beside me. With a clenched jaw and pain in my eyes, I looked over at Himuro. "How do you do it?" I asked quietly. "How?"
He was quiet, his eyes on the water and not on my face. "A day at a time," he finally said, his voice nearly getting swept away. "And sometimes...an hour at a time, or a minute at a time, or a second at a time."
I looked back out over the water, my hands still clenched, and after giving the railing a good punch, I walked away, back towards the apartment, partially because I didn't trust (y/n) to be anywhere in the propinquity of an oven.
My hand hurt, but my pain was nothing compared to (y/n)'s.