Why Must He Always Go Missing?

An hour later, it was time to go home. Steve and Peggy went back home to clean up then they would leave again to check out the Brooklyn apartments. They found one that was perfect but they had to wait until tomorrow for their pay. When they got home Peggy plopped on the bed.

"I can't stop thinking how that guy was going to make a move on me."

"I wouldn't have let him."

"Yes I know. Especially when he saw your hand on my thigh."

"What about how your legs were wrapped around me?"

"I didn't do that to scare him off."

"Oh?"

"It was for the same reason you touched my thigh."

"Sometimes I wonder how much you think about my body." He laughed.

"Oh darling that's easy, all the time."

"Well stop." He joked.

"Not a chance."

"Well maybe I'll have to-" The phone rang. Steve ran over and picked it up.

"Hello? [pause] Yes this is he [pause] I thought I was done for the- [pause] uh huh [pause] I'll be right over."

"What were you going to do before the phone rang?"

"Peggy I have to go."

"Where?" She stood up.

"They need me back at the office. Apparently it's an emergency. I think they're sending me out."

"Right now?"

"Seems that way." Steve was running around getting his things together.

"Call me when you know anything about the mission."

"Will do." Steve kissed her forehead and headed out the door.

"And do be careful."

*

Steve entered in the SSR offices to see complete panic and chaos.

"Captain Rogers!" Steve turned and found the man calling his name.

"Hi I'm Agent Jack Thompson. We spoke on the phone." They shook hands.

"Hi, Captain Steve Rogers. Do you mind telling me what's going on here?"

"We found another Hydra compound."

"Great. Where is it located?"

"Southern Germany."

"Am I being shipped out right now?"

"Unfortunately yes."

"I'll go down to the arsenal and get suited up."

"There's an idea."

Steve ran down the steps underground and found a special room dedicated to just his things. He strapped on his suit, grabbed his shield, and a pistol for back up. Then he got into a car that took him to the airport. It was 5:00 pm.

*

Peggy laid awake all night thinking about where Steve was and what he was doing. Every now and then, she would glance up at the phone to make sure it was still plugged in and working.

*

Steve arrived in Germany at 5:00 am, his time. He knew Peggy would be awake so he called in.

The phone rang and Peggy jumped up to answer it as soon as possible.

"Steve? Where are you? Are you ok?"

"Peggy, hi. I'm in Germany."

"Germany? Why?"

"They found another Hydra base. I'll be fine don't worry about me. If we get our pay checks go and buy that apartment."

"But-"

"No buts just do it. I'll be back home soon enough. If anything changes I'll give you a call. I have to go now baby. I love you."

"I love you too." They hung up. At least Peggy knew what was happening now. She went to take a nap, as she would have work in a few hours.

Steve went to the compound and kicked ass. He rushed the job as quickly as possible to get back to his love but no matter how quickly the job was done, they would still be going home the same time.

While they were there they found a few more camps in the area. They went to take those down too. Of course Steve, being the man he is, kept Peggy filled in. Someone else had bought the apartment and their pay checks came in the day after. The search continued and it got harder and harder each day that Steve wasn't there. He wouldn't be returning the same week he left.

Steve would come back after 12 days.

*

It was the twelfth day and most of the soldiers were arriving home but, for whatever reason, the Howling Commandos were sent out to Germany after people were coming back. She looked all over for Steve but he was no where to be found.

"Agent Thompson, where's Captain Rogers?"

"Can we talk about this in private?"

"Yes of course." They went to Peggy's office. They entered and he shut the door.

"Steve's been captured."

"Captured? How?"

"They shot him with something, almost like a tranquilizer. It shut his body down for a while. They took him."

"I don't understand how they can just take him. Weren't the others protecting him?"

"That's what we're trying to understand."

"Is that why the Howling Commandos went out?" She was stuttering and tears were coming down her bright rosy cheeks.

"Yes we're doing all we can to get him back." Thompson reached out for her hand but settled for a hug instead. His hands were going down on her back. "I know it can get pretty lonely..."

Peggy unhooked his hands from her waist and slapped him. "How dare you try to touch me! Get out."

She walked him out and held the door open. "Why don't you grow a pair of balls and go out on the field?"

She slammed the door.

*

A week went by and still no sign of Steve. The days felt longer and the men kept trying to make a move on Peggy. One time this week Johnny opened the door without knocking and without even saying a word, Peggy said "Don't." He didn't try anything and just shut the door again.

*

Another week went by and the Howling Commandos came back with nothing. The search ended and Peggy was alone again.

*

Another week, nothing.