Running out of Luck

The next morning Steve woke up in boxers next to Peggy who was half-dressed. She wasn't awake yet and still had her makeup on that Steve loved. He looked at her eyelashes and his eyes wandered down to the curl of her lips. They were a powerful red and Steve couldn't stop from kissing them. He craned his neck and placed his lips onto hers, waking her up. At first she was shocked but then fell under Steve's spell. He pulled away.

"Good morning darling." She whispered.

"Sorry I couldn't resist. You look so beautiful in the morning."

"Oh stop." She smacked his wrist and turned over to her side, away from him. "We don't need a repeat of last night."

"Or do we?" He bent over and kissed her neck. She moved her shoulder, hitting him in the jaw.

"Steve stop." Her answer wasn't to be taken seriously. Steve kissed her neck again. "Steve stop." He could hear her smiling. He repeated.

"You keep telling me to stop rather than trying to get me to stop." She turned around to face him.

"Steve?"

"Yes?"

"Don't leave me."

"I don't plan on it."

"I don't think leaving me would be on an agenda."

"It wouldn't."

"It shouldn't even be written down."

"There shall be no trace of those words."

"So you'll stay with me?"

"As it's written, yes."

"As it's spoken."

"And so it shall be."

"And if there is a thought of a life without me or you?"

"It shall be a sad life indeed but will be forbidden."

"I love you darling."

"I feel the same for you my love."

They exchanged a smile. They were like puzzle pieces, always completing one another.

*

The final mission. The details were held in the briefing room. Steve and Peggy felt uneasy about the task at hand but stayed hopeful. Peggy tensed up and Steve grabbed her hand, under the table, to calm her down. His touch was so soothing.

After the brief, Peggy and Steve went back to her room. They sat on the bed together and talked about the upcoming mission.

"I don't want you to leave."

"I don't want to leave either but after this, we're done. We can go home. Imagine it."

"I don't see that happening Steve."

"What do you mean?"

"It seems the universe only pulls us together to pull us apart."

"We're stronger than the universe. Through thick and thin, we can conquer it all."

"What if you d-" She couldn't bear the word so Steve calmed her down by grabbing her hand and cupping her chin to tilt her head towards him.

"That won't happen."

"What if it does?"

"Then you'll have the memory of me."

"Steve..." Her eyes looked down because of her sadness.

"Peggy..." He tried to lift her eyes back up. "We've gotten pretty lucky so far."

"What if our luck has run out?"

"Then our luck ran out." They hugged like they were about to lose each other forever.

*

Later that night they held each other until they fell asleep. Peggy laid awake, watching him sleep so peacefully. She adored the strands of Steve's hair that were out of place. Had he been awake he would have brushed them back. She looked at him in the dimly lit room and listened to him breathing. She was relaxed knowing he was there. Her eyes adventured along his face, down his sharp jawline, his rosy cheeks, his soft pink lips. She wanted to kiss them gently so he wouldn't stir, but she resisted against her impulse. She does have some control.

Suddenly his eyes began to flutter and some parts of him twitched. His eyebrows furrowed and he began to mumble something but it was too faint to hear, even with Peggy so close she could feel his warmth. It looked like his mouth was trying to form some words. His cheeks were flushed and red at the same time like he was cold and surprised. His fluttering and twitching stopped. All of a sudden a shiver then stillness. His breathing quickened and Peggy thought he might be awake. She closed her eyes when she saw one of eyelids begin to open.

Steve opened his eye slightly to see her "sleeping" then shut his again.

"I can feel you staring at me."

"I'm sorry if I woke you up. It's just a face I'm trying to remember while you're away."

He groaned in response.

"Go back to sleep darling. You'll need the rest."

Steve coddled her tighter, for Peggy it was a relaxing restraint. He kissed her cheek and nuzzled his face into her hair.

"I love you." He muffled into her hair.

"Love you too. Now go back to sleep." He began to kiss her head, he grazed her ear, her cheekbones, her jaw, and then her neck. As his kisses got lower, his grip tightened around her hip. He also put one of her legs over his and began to rub her thigh. "Go back to sleep. Peggy's orders."

"I outrank you." He was still buried in her curls.

"That doesn't really matter to me, just do as I say."

"Just this once. Next time you won't get off so easy." She emitted a smile through a hum.

Within minutes Steve went back to sleep and Peggy did as well.