Three Long Days

It was the next day and Steve hadn't gotten out of bed until 11:00. He was awake but just laid there thinking. He heard a knock at his door. He wasn't dressed formally, he only had a tee shirt on and his boxers. Quickly he put on a pair of khakis and said to come in. It was Peggy.

"Good morning Agent Carter."

"More like afternoon. Did you just wake up?"

"No I've just been lying here. How's Phillips's work going?"

"Oh, don't get me started. I've been writing down his thoughts since six."

"Did you finish his work?"

"Not quite. I still have to write condolence letters."

"People you knew?"

"Soldiers I've trained." Peggy looked genuinely upset. Steve knows that they both take affect to these things pretty harshly.

"Well meet me when you're done with work. I'll probably be with Howard."

"Will do Captain." Peggy walked back to Colonel Phillips.

*

After a few hours of work, Peggy was done and walked to Howard's station to find Steve. She found him in his uniform and Stark working on one of his inventions.

"Captain."

"Agent Carter. Ready?"

"For what?" Steve chuckled a little.

"Follow me." Steve led her outside where soldiers were running around the base. They didn't say anything until they were at the corner of the base. They just walked. They didn't have to say anything. Peggy was worried about the next day when Steve would be leaving. She didn't want to say anything because she hates goodbyes.

Within a few minutes of the walk, Peggy slid her hand into Steve's and they just walked behind the buildings because they didn't want the other soldiers to taunt them. They both heard a beep. It was Peggy's pager.

"Duty calls." She said. "Thanks for the walk Steve. I really needed it."

"Sure thing." Peggy went on the tips of her toes and gently kissed his cheek. She gave him one last look and went to work.

Steve walked outside for a bit and went to the nursing station to find Bucky.

"How's the arm Buck?"

"Feeling better. I'm not sure if I'll be coming with you tomorrow."

"Take all the time you need. No rush."

"As soon as I get better I'll be fighting beside you."

"I don't doubt it." For the rest of the day Steve ran around the base. He ran 13 miles and didn't sweat much.

*

He went back to his room and Peggy walked in.

"Breaking a sweat Mr. Rogers?"

"I just ran 13 miles."

"13? I'm sure you could have doubled that. Tripled even."

"Well it's dinner time so I think I deserved a meal."

"Mind if I tag along?" She asked.

"I'll be eating in the dining hall but I have to get changed first." He started to take off his shirt, revealing his abs. Peggy had to walk out as fast as possible or else she'd be too distracted, as would anyone.

Steve put on a white tee and khakis and went to find Peggy. She was in the briefing room making sure to take down three locations that were already destroyed.