Assignment

"Steve wake up!" She threw a pillow at his head.

"What? I thought I was waking you up." He was half asleep and he had a tired voice.

"That's what I thought too. You overslept and missed the meeting!"

"What time is it?"

"Eight o'clock."

"I'm sorry babe I just got home really late."

"Steve I was counting on you to be there when I wake up."

"Why is this so important to you?" Steve rubbed his eyes.

"Because it is Steve!" She plopped down onto the bed and crossed her arms.

"Listen baby, you've had a rough day and it's fine if you want to take it out on me." He put his hands on her arms and she calmed down.

"I'm sorry darling. It's just been so hard." She began to tear up. "It's just that-"

"Shh. Don't worry." He rested his chin on the top of her head and held her.

Peggy has been known to go off on Steve even if it's not about him. Work had been getting to her lately and really needed Steve. He was her pillow that she could relax onto.

*

The war was basically over. A few groups needed to be taken down but overall it was over. Music played through the speakers as a little "celebration." Steve ran to Peggy.

"You know what this reminds me of?" He used his winning smile again.

"What?" She was laughing about how excited he was.

"Follow me." He grabbed her hand and ran to his room. "Our dance."

Peggy was so impressed by this. It was cute, he remembered, and he did it in the sweetest way possible. A slow song came on. He put one hand on her lower back and the other was holding her hand.

"Is this ok?"

"Anything is ok as long as I'm with you." She leaned her head on his chest and closed her eyes. He closed his too.

*

They danced for what felt like minutes but was actually an hour. The song changed to a bunch of different genres but they didn't listen, they just danced.

Nothing else mattered.

*

"That was lovely." They pulled off each other.

"Is it me or do you also feel tired?"

"I feel like I've been snapped out of a trance." Steve put both his hands on her lower back and pulled her into him. As close as possible. There was no breathing room.

"I'm crazy about you." They kissed. Peggy pulled back so they were about an inch apart and smiled.

"I think I ought to put you in a mental hospital." They pecked again. Peggy held on to Steve's biceps.

"You ought to." He whispered. They kissed, longer this time. As if it was the last. It got more intense until the moment was ruined, again. Peggy's pager went off. They held their kiss for a few seconds longer then pulled back.

"Ugh this bloody thing. Phillips needs us. Time to go darling." They didn't move yet.

"I wish we could stay like this forever." He rested his head in the crook of her neck to kiss her collarbone.

"Steve we really should be going." Neither of them moved yet. She started laughing again. "I know you're crazy about me but have you gone mad?"

"Completely." They still stood in the same position and began to sway a bit. Steve removed his head from her shoulder and looked into her eyes. Then he planted a tender kiss on her lips. Sparks flew. Kisses like this that they shared felt like dropping onto a soft bed at the end of a long day. It literally makes you melt. It sends tingles down they're spines. It's mesmerizing. Peggy stopped it and removed Steve's hands from her waist.