Just the Beginning

"Now over 400 men are dead including America's golden boy, all because you had a crush." Colonel Phillips said.

"It wasn't that. I had faith." Peggy fought back.

"We can't touch Stark because he's the best engineer we got and rich but you are neither one."

"Forgive me sir, but I don't regret my actions and I don't think Captain Rogers did either."

"I took a chance on you Carter and I'm beginning to regret my actions." They stared at each other with such tension. They couldn't stand each other but put their quarrels aside to get their job done. Soldiers began to run towards the gates with enthusiasm and curiosity. Some were cheering and others were questioning the ones who knew what was happening. "What the hell is going on out there?" Colonel stormed outside with Peggy tagging along.

There, at the gates, was Captain Rogers and the 400 men that were pronounced KIA. The soldiers couldn't believe that the ridiculous stage actor had defeated Nazis and almost took down their most wanted. The most surprising part? He won, with a shield. Most men wouldn't come out alive with a gun. He was a super soldier after all, but it was still surprising.

They walked into the center of the camp where Rogers met Phillips who was being followed by Peggy.

He salutes. "Some of these men need medical attention. I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"That won't be necessary." He walks away, dumbfounded. Peggy walks up to Steve.

She looks him up and down then says "You're late." By the way she looked at him, you can tell that she was also shocked.

Steve pulls out a broken radio. "Couldn't call my ride." He smirks. Surprised by this, Peggy remains speechless and looks at the radio, then at him, his lips, and finally stares into his eyes. They stay like this, motionless, until the men stop cheering and walk away.

"Nice work Captain. I think you managed to impress Colonel Phillips." She smiles but slowly relaxes her lips.

"He wasn't the only one I'm trying to impress." Steve looked down into her eyes and knew he wanted to kiss her.

"I'm sure the public will be proud of you too." Work came first.

*

"There was one there. And the last one was.... 30-40 miles west of the margin line." The assistant took away the map as soon as Steve dropped the pencil onto the page, leaving Steve and Peggy. 

"Just got a quick look." He glanced up at her.

"Well, nobody's perfect." She sighed, but not in a sarcastic way.

"I like to think some people are." Steve had a winning smile that could make anyone melt.

"Don't flatter yourself Captain." She walked away quickly before Steve could notice her blushing. She obviously knew what he meant but didn't want to get caught up in romance when they were so close to ending the war.

"So whats the first target?" Steve asked Colonel Phillips.

"Factory A which is 12 miles away from the headquarters you blew up. We figure that's where he would go as soon as possible. I put a team together to accompany you on your mission."

"Sir, with all do respect, I also put a team together."

Colonel Phillips and Peggy gave him a questioning look but listened to the Captain because he knows what is best for him.

*

"So, who's in?" All of the men had gladly taken the Captain's offer with a raise of their hand.