The Voice

Nate groaned and pried his eyes open- pulling a thin blanket over his head to shield his eyes from the bright light above his head.

Wait. Nate doesnt have something that bright hanging from the ceiling.

Bolting upright, the blanket falling from his face, he looked around in confusion. Blank white walls, a simple shower, a toilet and a sink.

Standing, Nate walked to the door where a small six inch opening was. Nate pulled on the metal bars, blocking the opening, with no luck in removing them.

"Hello?" He called out rather quietly.

Clearing his throat, Nate spoke louder, "Hello?!"

"Nate...?" A deep voice said from somewhere in the hall. Nate recognized it as Mark's voice.

"Mark?!" Nate shouted in surprise, his panic creeping into his voice. His hands wrapped around the metal bars, trying to push his face through to see into the hall. All he could see was the wall and floor in front of his door.

"Do you know what's going on? Why we're here?" Mark asked Nate, his voice raising at the end.

"I was hoping you did!" Nate sat down on the bed, resting his arms on his knees. Nate's knee bounced, tapping his finger against his leg.

A deep, echoing chuckle sounded through the hall, reaching Nate's ears. Every hair on his body stood up, sending chills down his spine. Nate stood quickly, looking around his room before peering into the hall.

"Mark...? Was... Was that you?" Nate asked, his voice quieter than it had previously been. Was that Mark? And if so, what was he laughing about? What's going on?

"Oh no, don't you worry, that wasn't Mark," the same voice said. It echoed, making it impossible to pinpoint where it was coming from. It sounded like it was everywhere.

"Who are you?! What the hell is going on?!" Mark yelled in anger and confusion. Nate heard a metallic thump, signifying Mark had either kicked the door or threw something at it.

"You'll see soon enough." Nate could almost see the smirk on the face of whoever was speaking.

"Where are we?! Why are you doing this?!" Nate yelled at it. He wasn't sure what he was expecting, but he knew he wasn't about to get an answer.

"We haven't even started the fun part, and you're already getting worked up. This will be interesting," the voice chuckled.

Yeah, Nate knew he wasn't getting an answer anytime soon.

"Get some sleep boys," the deep voice hummed, "You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow."

After a few minutes of screaming questions into the air, Mark and Nate gave up after recieving no response. Instead, a silence fell over the two.

"What do you think he meant by 'a long day'?" Nate asked suddenly, sounding more tired than frustrated.

"I have no idea..." Mark grumbled with a sigh.

Nate sighed and lay down on his bed, turning on his side so his back was to the world.

Only time would tell what tomorrow would bring.