So here is to the heartbreakers

Who are so good at hiding all the evidence of them pretending.

All along who were we kidding?

Sean, who is behind the keyboard for this, begins working his fingers along the keys, blending with Austin and Kris as they strum lightly on their guitar strings. I swallow thickly, bowing by head for a moment before bringing it back up to continue.

You think that it is over,

When did it ever begin?

Don’t pretend like he was ever interested.

He may have had you fooled by,

The way he looked into your eyes.

But no he really looked right through, through it all.

He could swear he never meant it,

Act like you’re overreacting,

But he’s the tool who shouldn’t have been acting.

How are they the ones attracting us?

Here’s to the heartbreakers

Who are so good at hiding all the evidence of them pretending.

All along who were we kidding?

I could find a man and not a boy.

Yeah you’ll see what you’re missing.

Yes I’m fine now, thanks for asking.

Here’s to the fakers

Here’s to the heartbreakers!

Justin’s locked eyes with mine, shaking his head threateningly. I shrug, my eyes soft, hurt, uncaring about what he could possibly do to make my life hell. He already has, he’s already taken my heart and squeezed the empathy I had for him right out. He played with my feelings. He told me he loved me, he told me he’d be around for me and that I was different. Well, where is he now?

The music transitions, Sean’s moved to sit behind the drums and begin tapping on the snare. A ballad begins to form and I look at Justin seriously as I move to the next part of my story.

You took my hand

You showed me how

You promised me you'd be around

Uh huh

That's right

I took your word

And I believed

In everything

You said to me

Yeah huh

That's right

My voice starts as barely a whisper that grows and gets stronger as Justin begins to silently argue back, rolling his eyes at me and giving me looks that seem to deny everything I say. All I can do, though, is stand there and keep going, keep singing; because, that’s the only way we’ve ever been able to really communicate.

If someone said three years from now

You'd be long gone

I'd stand up and punch them out

Cause they're all wrong

I know better

Cause you said forever