Chapter Ten

When I walk into school the next morning my eyes see something that makes me do a double take.  I tug my skateboard over my shoulder and hesitantly walk up to it, a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips. Hanging crookedly in place is a black flyer with large bold red letters and a broken heart image. “Sing Off” is titled in all caps and below is a picture of Justin beside a silhouette of myself with a large question mark over it. I beam at the flyer and lean in to read it.

It’s Justin Knight VS The New Girl

You read it right! Tonight at 6 P.M. we are introducing a sassy new Heartbreakers member in a singing battle. Who is she? Come to The Lunch Box tonight and find out. Who will you vote for, Justin or the New Girl?

I step back and giggle. I’m surprised Kris didn’t refer to me as “Carrots” or “Ginger”. That seems to the trend nickname these days. Suddenly, my stomach twists in excitement. Today’s the day! Today is the day I get to prove to Justin that he can’t always get everything he wants. At least I hope.

I shrug my backpack to a more comfortable position and walk away from the poster and down the hall to my locker. I got to school later than usual so most of the students are already here. I literally have to shove my way through a group of chatting friends to get to my locker. I push my skateboard in and then exchange my books. A hand is suddenly on my shoulder. Surprised, I turn quickly and my hair slaps Austin’s face.

“Thanks for the delicious mouthful hair.” Austin says sarcastically with a small smile.

My cheeks redden but I close my locker before apologizing.

“Sorry, what’s up?” I ask, shifting my weight to my right hip.

He holds up a stack of flyers I didn’t even know he was carrying.

“We’ve got to advertise.” He replies with a little smile. Under the smile I detect a worried look but shrug it off as I accept half of the stack.

“So, how are we going to do this?” I ask as we begin to walk down the hall.

“We have to hang them up around school.” He says casually while randomly stopping to tape a flyer to the wall. It hangs lopsidedly. I roll my eyes and stick my stack back into his hands as I go to the wall and straighten it out.

“I think I’ll do the taping.” I wink.

“Uh, yeah, sure.” He says slowly, that nervous glint flashing through his eyes, again.

I look at him questioningly and he opens his mouth to say something, but thinks better of it and turns away to continue down the hall. I groan and jog to catch up with him.

I’m taping up my fifth flyer when Austin leans against the wall and sighs. I catch his eye and frown.

“I need your help.” He says slowly, gulping and avoiding eye contact.

I lean in closer to hear him and lean against the wall as well, “With what?”

His green eyes shift to the ground and he runs his fingers through his sandy blonde hair, obviously anxious and embarrassed. He drags out his breathe and turns slightly to face me, pointing his finger in my chest.

“I’m only going to you because, well…we’re still getting to know each other.” He forces out.

I stare at him blankly for a second, “What does that have to do with anything?”

He lets out a frustrated groan, being too impatient for his own good. Well, what! I can’t read minds!

“Because, you won’t judge me or treat me any different. At least, I hope you don’t.” he says, his voice progressively becoming quieter as he explains.