Chapter Twelve

The instant his lips touch mine I shove him away. My head swims with emotions as he stumbles backward. Why did he kiss me? The room is dead silent, so silent you could hear a pin drop. I inhale sharply, watching Justin as he regains footing. His head is turned so he’s not facing me, he doesn’t want to look at me.  I’m holding my breath and I’m not even meaning to. My eyes dart around the room finding the familiar faces of the band members. They are half-standing, half-sitting, and unsure of whether to do something.  

My palms are pressed against the face of the door, my body leaning into it for support. My legs don’t seem to want to move but my mind says otherwise. When my hand slides across the door handle I quickly jerk it open and slide through the opening as fast as I can. My head is clouded as my eyes scan the room, I’m momentarily lost. Where am I? Where’s the door? My stomach twists in panic before I spot the door and jog over to it.

“Reese?”

I jump, turning on my heel to face the person talking to me. My heart speeds up but slows again when my eyes rest on Stephanie’s striped top and shorts. Her braids bounce off her shoulders as she jumps out of a red chair, almost tipping it over, and runs over to me.

“H-Hey.” I greet her shakily while smoothing my hair and wiping the sweat off the side of my face.

She grins and her braces reflect the multicolored lights, hurting my eyes.

“You said you’d rather get eaten by the zombie apocalypse than sing with the Heartbreakers, you fibber!” she teases.

I let out an uneven laugh and glance over at the back door. Nobody has tried to come after me, good thing.

“I-it was accidental…” I stammer, still shooting the door quick glances.

“Or fate!” she says while trying to wink. Half of her face scrunches up and she ends up blinking both eyes, it’s so attractive, not.

“Yeah, fate.” I mumble, my fingers subconsciously touch my lips as I stare at the closed door with a scowl.

“You okay? Cat got your tongue?” she asks, peering at my face with a smug look.

I run my fingers through my hair and break eye contact with the door, “Yeah, fine, we should-um-probably go.” I say hesitantly, my hand reaching out to take her wrist.

“Why? Don’t you want to wait for them? I want to see Justin! Me and him are going to get married one day.” She rambles.

I roll my eyes, breaking out of my trance. Fight or flight runs through my veins as the door cracks open.

“We need to leave, now.”

“But-“

She yelps in surprise as I yank her wrist and she flies forward. I pull her to the front door and push my way through. When we’re outside I look from side to side. Where do I live, again? Two blocks to my right and four blocks to the left, right? I shake my head. Look what that cocky retard did to my head! He’s playing with it, that’s what he’s doing!

Stephanie’s barely recovered from being tugged around when I start down the sidewalk hastily.

“Gosh! Slow down!” she grumbles, “What’s going on?”

I don’t answer but continue to pull her along and try to clear my head.

How could that have just happened? That didn’t just happen! It’s all an illusion! Why would he kiss me anyway? Ugh! I’m so confused! My head hurts from thinking.

“Reese!”

My head snaps to look at the skinny blonde girl I’m dragging. She’s tripping over her feet and looking at me helplessly. I ease up and to allow her to catch up.