Chapter Nine

Sitting at the dining room table with my books piled high in front of me, I scribble down and erase answers all over my review packets. If there is one thing teachers are negligent of during junior year, it’s preparing you emotionally for exams. If you’re book smart you’re good to go, but if you’re like me, you stay up all night studying weeks in advance. It’s not that I’m dumb or un-smart. It’s just that subjects like math are hard for me to grasp. Hence, why I’ve requested review sheets from all of my teachers and am studying and preparing for upcoming finals.

My eyes glance at the clock hanging above the entry of the dining room. Stephanie was supposed to be here ten minutes ago.

As if the universe read my mind, I hear knocking at the front door. I just about trip over the chair legs as I race out of the room and down the hall to the door. Pulling it open, I’m not surprised to see Stephanie standing there in her signature braids, a large smile filling her face.

Well, I’m no hostess and this is no party, plus she’s late.  So, I don’t hesitate to yank her into the house forcefully and begin to drag her up the stairs to my bedroom. My mother would cringe at my manners, scolding me until I’m rolling my eyes because I’ve heard it all before. Luckily, she’s out to dinner with friends and she can’t see my lack of manners.

 Stephanie doesn’t seem to mind though, and lets me pull her up the stairs like a ragdoll.

Once we’ve entered my bedroom, I point to my bed, indicating that she should sit. We’ve barely exchanged greetings and I’m not going to start now. We have an hour and a half until Alex gets here and she wasted ten minutes of precious time.

“Alright, so, what were you planning on wearing to the date?” I ask her, crossing my arms. I haven’t bothered to sit down, nor do I want to. Instead, I stand in front of her, looking down superiorly.

She looks baffled by the question and simply looks down at her attire and back up at me. I smack my forehead with realization.

“No.” I state sternly, “Alex likes cute girls that are put together. And that, my dear, is not put together.”

She looks slightly offended but doesn’t argue. All I can do is shake my head, ashamed that she hasn’t picked up any of the dating tips I’ve given her the past twenty-four hours.

She wears Capri shorts and a pale pink shirt with kittens on the front. A pair of worn sneakers is on her feet.

I have a lot of work to do.

Sighing, I turn on my heel and jog over to my closet, pulling it open. I search the hangers for a few minutes, fumbling with some blouses and sweaters before my eyes land on what I’m looking for. I have a light blue dress from last Easter hanging at the end of my closet. It’s simple, but feminine, perfect for a diner date.

“Here we go,” I smile, pulling the dress from the hanger and turning to face Stephanie who is playing with the ends of her hair, “do you like it?”

She stares at it for a moment, her face blank. Then, she smiles and nods wildly.

“It’s pretty!” she exclaims through a brace-less smile, standing up and skipping over.

I hand her the dress and order her to change before leaving the room. Once the door is shut behind me, I lean up against it and wait for her to finish changing. Down the hall, A.J. pokes his head out from his bedroom and glances from side to side before he sees me.

“Is she here?” he asks, nodding to the closed door.

I nod, “She is. This is operation Fix-Stephanie-Before-Alex-Finds-Out-She’s-Not-What-He-Expected.”