Chapter Fourteen

Tuesday afternoon I scuttle down the hall quickly after school with a flyer clutched in my hand. The black paper is thin and is ripped slightly from me pulling it off the wall. My eyes search through the crowd of students, frantically looking for a fair haired boy wearing a white t-shirt. When my eyes finally rest on him I push my way through the crowd, winning some death looks, and tug on his arm. His head swivels over to me and grins.

“What’s up?” he asks casually while flinging his locker door open noisily.

I bounce on the balls of my feet while waving the flyer in front of his face. I bite my lip while smiling slightly, watching his face grin devilishly. Snatching the flyer from my hand his eyes scan over the paper while raising an eyebrow.

He begins to quote the poster in a news reporter voice, making me giggle, “The Heartbreakers are going through a break up. The band is heartbroken to announce their breakup from Reese, Sean, and Austin. To get over the breakup the Heartbreakers are having a Heartbreak Concert tomorrow night at the Lunch Box.”

“Sad, right?” I ask through a fits of laughter.

He lowers the flyer from his face with wide eyes.

“Do you know what this means?” he asks, now waving the flyer in my face.

“Karma?” I ask with amusement flooding my face.

“Karma.” He confirms, while slamming the locker door shut, “We’ve got to find Sean.”

He grabs my wrist and pulls me along the hallway in search of Sean. After not finding him by his locker we run for the door in an attempt to catch him before he leaves. Students send us confused looks as we push past them and jump around them. Austin loses grasp of my wrist and I dive around a tall senior boy who just scowls at the immaturity, like I care.

I spot a tall brunette boy near the school entrance and guess it’s Sean from the skateboard hanging at his side.

“Sean!” I yell to the brunette boy pushing the front door open.

The boy doesn’t turn around and I hope that I didn’t just call out to some random stranger. Austin and I sprint towards the door and push it open to see the boy begin to skateboard down the sidewalk.

“Sean!” I yell again and this time he turns, almost tripping over the board.

“What the he-“

Austin tackles him, knocking Sean off the board and pinning him against the freshly cut grass.

Austin pants as he explains, “They really are heartbreakers!” he says, smothering the poster in Sean’s face.

Sean shoves Austin off forcefully then pulls the flyer off his face and examines it.

“Heartbreak Concert?” he sighs in disbelief, “Well, aren’t they using this to their advantage.” He grumbles while sitting up.

“You do know what this means, right?” Austin offers unsurely.

Sean stares at the poster and scowls, “We are not crashing this one.”

“Why!” Austin and I whine in unison.

“Well, how would you like it if your ex ruined something that meant a lot to you?” he asks, using the analogy that our band breaking up is like a couple breaking up.

“He kicked you out of the band, Sean!” I argue grumpily. He is not turning on us right now, no way!

He sighs and stands up, “It just doesn’t feel right.”

“Karma!” I remind him, clenching my fists.

He shakes his head and runs fingers though his hair, “How would we do it, huh? We haven’t even practiced!”