6. The Next, You're Dead

Beginne am Anfang

"But that soldier just searched them!"

"Bags. Please."

I hurriedly placed my two bags in front of him and watched as he turned everything upside down.

"Oh, please be careful in that one. I have expensive equipment."

Adon merely glared at me before zipping the bags up, taking my passport and stamping a stamp. I noticed an identical silver ring on his right thumb too. I frowned. Maybe it was an army thing.

I took my things quickly, flashed him a smile, and hurried away before he could change his mind.

I walked through the terminal, following the signs that pointed me towards Gaza. Finally, I entered a long, concrete tunnel. After some time, I came to a turnstile, where I struggled to get through because of my bulky backpack. After a few minutes of shoving and turning different ways, I got through.

I groaned when I saw the road ahead. It was gravel and lonesome, with a metal fence on either side. The end was not even in sight. I'm sure it was at least a kilometre.

With a sigh, I began the walk. To my left and right was desolate mined land. The walk took me about half an hour. I came to a sweaty stop at another security hut. I walked inside but it was empty. I waited for about twenty minutes, but no one came, so I cautiously walked forward. When nothing shot at me, I continued forward and walked for about another kilometre.

This time there were a few people about, many giving me strange looks. I'd give myself a strange look. I was dirty and sweaty, my hair slicked back in sweat. My suitcase was red from the sand and my camera was hanging from my neck, covered slightly in dust.

Finally, I came to the last checkpoint, this one run by Hamas, the "Palestinian" army. The soldier in office gave me a slightly disgusted look, which I returned with a relieved smile.

"Hello!"

"Afternoon," the dark, black haired and hazel eyes man said. "Passport please."

I handed my things over and the man ran everything though his computer. He then searched my bags. I glanced at his right hand, but he wasn't wearing a silver ring. Given, he worked for Hamas, so even if it were an Army thing, only the Israeli army would have it.

"Don't worry to go to that hut, I have checked everything here," the soldier told me, handing my documents and bags back to me.

I gave him a nod. "Thank you! Oh yes, can you please tell me how far Aztad Road is?"

The man shook his head. "I'm afraid I do not know. There is a garage down the road from here. You can ask there."

I gave him a smile. "Thank you."

It was another fifteen-minute walk before I got to the petrol station. There was one petrol tank and the shop was empty with broken windows. Despite that, I did find a couple of taxis parked in a row. I went to the first one. It was empty. The second one had a young woman in it. I knocked on the window and she jumped. Giving her an apologetic look, I stepped back as she opened her door.

"Hello?" She was taller than I was, fair, had grey eyes, and light brown hair was poking out from under her headscarf.

"Hi. Is this a taxi service?"

"Servees, yes." She gave me a nod.

"Can you take me to this address?" I asked and showed her a piece of paper where I had written down Amna's street and suburb name.

Her eyes lit up in recognition and she gave me another nod and opened the car boot to put my bags in. "I live there."

I gave her a smile and walked to my side of the car.