X: Alive and Awake

Start from the beginning

"Well, you know about my apparent 'fuck up' with Corporate press, and that I know a lot about Corporate business from my father. But, you don't know my medical side. Yeah, I learned basics from my mom. She liked to take me to work so she could see me more often. That resulted in me becoming some sort of apprentice by my mom's side. I learned how to dress wounds and oddly how to stitch up wounds, but I did stitching on training dummies. I even learned different types of medicines and there purposes. I also have a very vague idea of the anatomy, but not much."

"You've learned a lot from your parents." She was surprised.

I nodded in response. "I think if it wasn't for learning from them, then I wouldn't have wanted something I enjoy. Corporate business is something I grasp easily, but I find no joy in it. Medical is great, but it's really not for me. So, I figured my passion for art was the way to go. I love my job." She nodded and turned off the trail and I still followed. "Why did we go off the trail?"

"Then we would never find the clearing I talked about." She said with a laugh.

I give her a quizzical look. "You just ran off the trail without any clue where you are?"

She laughed again. "It was the spur of the moment really. I was stressed, and when I stress I get angry and irrational. So, of course I did."

I shook my head in amusement. "You never cease to amaze me."

"Well, all I have to do is look at you to be amazed." She grinned when she saw my blush.

We walked in silence until we found the clearing. Lexa smiled at the sight. I was awe struck by the simple beauty of the place. The sun was getting ready to set and the hue of the sky clashed perfectly with the woods. As I stood there gawking at the sight, Lexa laid the blanket down and sat the basket on it. She eventually pats the spot beside her, ordering me to sit. I do and Lexa unpacks the basket, showing me the food she packed.

"I have the ultimate veggie sandwich, but don't worry, I made another that replaces some of the ingredients with hand pulled turkey. We're going to split them in half and try both." She showed me a container that held two really big sandwiches as she explained what was there with enthusiasm. "Then we have some Herby Potato Salad. Just a for warning our breath may smell really... great after eating this. Then, of course, we have watermelon, because who doesn't eat watermelon on a picnic." She pulled out two more containers. "And for drinks, we have two Mason jars filled with Meyer lemon and Jasmin ice tea. I may have added some alcohol, but no one has to know." She chuckles and hands me one of the Mason jars and a straw. She must have seen the look I gave her because her smile falls. "What?"

A small laugh escapes my mouth as I speak. "Nothing, just never seen someone so enthusiastic about food before. By the way, did you make all of this?"

She shrugged with a smile. "I had a little help. And by little I mean little to none." She opened the container that held the sandwiches and handed me half of one. "Yeah, Luna was being a little twat all day."

I almost choked on the sandwich. "A twat?"

"Well, she kept throwing food at me. She even threw a spoon at me. Then she made fun of me for going all out for a first date." She informed me as she took a bite out of the sandwich I confirmed was the ultimate veggie she made.

"I have to admit, I never thought vegetables would be this great with just bread. To be honest, I haven't eaten anything this healthy since, probably my second birthday." I said truthfully.