just a dream

it was two weeks after the day she turned eighteen. all dressed in white, going to the church that night. she had his box of letters in the passenger seat. sixpence in a shoe, something borrowed something blue.

you had just graduated high school with your high school sweetheart, samuel wilkinson. it seemed perfect. sam had purposed to you after graduation, considering he wanted to into the military and he wanted to do it before he was deployed over seas. 

"you know the big day is tomorrow." sam smiled looking at the night sky with you. "i know, i can't wait. promise me you wont back out at the last minute." you held out your pinkie towards sam.

sam just laughed at you. "i promise." he locked your pinkies together. "you promise me one thing, y/n. whatever happens to me over seas you will still be the same person you are. dont let me be your baggage you have to carry around." he sighed.

you got confused. "don't say that. i will love you forever and always. my first true love." you kissed sam, smiling. 

and when the church doors opened up wide, she put her veil down trying to hide the tears.

you walked into the church with your all white dress on, sm smiling at you. admiring every feature you had. you instantly feel your cheeks heat up and you get shy. "i love you." he mouthed to you.

"forever and always." you mouthed back.

your tears soon became more frequent and you couldn't control them. you were just getting married it wasn't supposed to be that emotional. sam looked at you with a confused face.

oh she just couldn't believe it, she heard the trumpets from the military band and the flowers fell out of her hands.

a playing of multiple trumpets snapped you out of your thoughts. you were in the same church but instead of all white you were dressed in all black and instead of everyone smiling, everyone was crying. then you noticed the casket standing before you. you looked at the rose in your hand. laying the rose down on the casket along with some tears.

you went and sat by lori, sam's mother. she held you in her embrace and cried along with you. 

baby why'd you leave me why'd you have to go, i was counting on forever, now ill never know. its like I'm looking from a distance standing in the background, everybody's saying "he's not coming home" now this can't be happening to me. this is just a dream.

the minister said some words about sam, some funny stories from you and his friends. after the service at the church was over it was time to go to the cemetery. ben opened the door for you to get in the black cadillac to drive to the cemetery.

as you were walking you couldn't help but feel empty. you met everyone around the casket. 

the preacher man said "let us bow our heads and pray lord please lift his soul, and heal this hurt" then the congregation all stood up and sang, the saddest song, that she ever heard. then they handed her a folded up flag and she held on, to all she had left of him

they handed you a folded up flag and sam's dog tags. you cried as your throat burned. "oh and what could have been." you whispered. they raised the flag in the air as everyone saluted to it. everyone cried.

then the guns rang one last shot and it felt like a bullet in her heart.

the members of the american legion soldiers raised their guns and shot in the air, to honor sam and his work in the line of duty. "baby, why'd you leave me, why'd you have to go?" you cried.

lori and the rest of sam's family cried and hugged you. "this is just a dream." you all sobbed.

a/n

i'd be lying if i said i didnt cry while writing this :'))) I'm sorry y'all.

this is a beautiful song tho.