"The . . . elementals?" She closed the closet door and turned to face the small coven. "What are elementals?"

"The elemental witches," Nox said as if it should had been as obvious to Fawn as the English alphabet. "You've never heard of them?"

"She's just been Touched," Freya said. "Of course she's never heard of them."

"Oh, right. . . . Sorry."

"Go on, Monica," Leah said. "Freya and I have been waiting to hear this tale."

"Right. Well . . . the elemental witches were four very powerful witches," Monica started slowly. "Each witch was especially gifted in magic of one of the four elements: fire, water, wind and earth. They also posessed the gift of extrasensory perception, like clairvoyance and telepathy. The story goes that after the Dark Days of Magic, Nature sought out four witches who'd come to be known as the Guardians of Nature. Together, these witches are unstoppable, possessing what is known today as 'absolute magic'."

"Absolute magic?" Freya breathed. "Sounds . . . incredible."

"Why did Nature seek these witches out?" Fawn asked, finally joining the circle.

"Well, there are prophecies," Monica said. "Many, actually. And they all translate to just about the same thing." Monica closed her eyes and recited the prophecy.

"The bringer of the end of days shall rise and cause pain.

Many will meet death by the wrath of his bane.

Only the combined strengths of the Great Four,

Will see death meet the Evil One's door."

There were several seconds of silence before Fawn said "What does it all mean?"

"Nobody knows for sure," Monica said. "But according to Auntie Jules, the prophecy may have already been fulfilled."

"What? How?"

"Well, dark magic was born during the Dark Days. And it all started with one sorcerer. Demetrius. He created each of the Forbidden Spells."

"Holy hell," Fawn gasped. "One witch created all those spells?"

Monica nodded.

"And it was around that time the first generation of elemental witches in history appeared. It took all four of them to defeat him and seal him away."

"Oh, man . . . ," Fawn breathed. "He must've been very powerful."

"Some say he was even more powerul than the sorceress Ursula," Nox said.

"Though, let's be real," Monica said, smirking, "he obviously wasn't."

"What an amazing story and prophecy," Leah said. "It's so fascinating."

"But . . . wait a minute," Freya said, "you said the first generation of elemental witches . . ."

Monica nodded.

"That's right. I did. Since the first generation of elementals, there have been many more. Each time an elemental passes on, another is born to take its place. There will always be four elemental witches somewhere in the world. And legends say they are drawn to each other."

"Drawn to each other?" said Fawn.

Monica nodded.

"No matter where they are in the world, they'll find each other eventually."

"Incredible . . . ," Freya whispered.

"Who gets chosen to be elemental witches?" Fawn asked.

Monica shrugged.

"They say elementals are born much like normal witches are. If only those pure of heart are chosen by Nature, maybe . . . the purest of heart are chosen as elementals?"

"Dude, I have to meet one elemental witch in my lifetime!" Ashleigh exclaimed. "Just one!"

"Very rare chance of happening as there are only four of them in the entire world." Freya said.

"How can you tell an elemental witch when you see one," Fawn asked.

"Well . . . they have a very unique trait," Monica said. "It is said that sometimes when using an incredible amount of magic . . . their eyes would glow."

Fawn could feel her heartbeat speed up as she and Ashleigh exchanged quick glances.

No! Way!

---

To be continued in Chapter 46...