rain boy

josh drove slowly in his car, his face splashed with hazy streetlight colors refracted by the rain into soft shades that passed over his features. he watched raindrops drip down his windows, mesmerizing him as his tires splashed quietly through puddles on the road. he was a little tired, driving home after dropping his very drunk friends off at their house, but he loved the rain and the way it brought a soft chill over everything, the clouds creating a mood that he would paint if he had any talent for it. he kept his eyes on the road, the street black and glistening, drops still falling from the dark sky.

he passed a multitude of establishments, ranging from closed-up flower shops to nightclubs that let light into the street from their open doors, and he could see lots of people within. it wasn't really his scene. he preferred the sound of his drums as he practiced, or the click of his laptop keys as he wrote little stories. he wanted to write about the rain, maybe.

josh cast his eyes to the side of the road, a pale dot catching his green-brown eyes. he saw a pale little figure under a streetlight. as he drove closer he slowed down slightly to see the person. he was a young man, with wet brown hair that glistened black from the rainwater. his cheeks were rosy, large brown eyes closed slightly as he tried to pull his soaked little pink sweatshirt around his body tighter. josh stopped the car next to him, about to offer the pretty shivering stranger a ride home. he felt compelled. something about the boy drew him in.

the stranger lifted his head, opening his doe-like eyes to look at josh emerging from his car. his plump pink lips curved into a small smile as josh shifted uncomfortably in his coat a few feet away. "do you-do you need a ride home? you look kind of cold." josh said, his tone uncertain. the pretty boy's expression fell a little. he looked down. "thank you for asking, but, um, I don't really have anywhere to stay. not a-anymore," he said, his voice hitching a little. josh noticed for the first time that his eyes were a little puffy from crying, and his long lashes were sticking together with raindrops and tears. josh twisted a piece of his coat in his hand.

"I can't just leave you here alone. I have a spare room at my place. I-I'm sorry if it's weird or something but you can stay there until you figure something out, right?" josh said, tripping over his words a little. the boy smiled again. josh thought his smile was cute. "I don't want to be a drag, but, that would be so great," the boy said. josh could hear the relief in his voice. josh gestured weakly to the car, rain starting to get inside through the open car door. the stranger stepped over to josh. "I'm tyler," he said. "josh," he replied. "josh. I like your name," tyler giggled. his name rolling off of tyler's tongue made butterflies rustle in his stomach. he was too pretty for his own good.

josh opened the other door and let the the wet boy clamber in. tyler lay his head back on the headrest, a little guilty about getting water everywhere. josh looked at tyler's hands once he got into the drivers seat, noticing how cold and pale they were. he turned up the heat in the car, warmth flooding into the closed bubble of the interior, and he heard the boy next to him let out a little sigh of content, relaxing his head into the headrest in a way that made josh want to scream with the cuteness of it. josh resumed his drive, keeping the car steady as tyler's breathing became slower and more regular. he was already asleep.

josh smiled at him, the sight of his sleeping, angelic face making him feel warm and fuzzy inside. he wished he could watch him sleep forever. the way his long eyelashes, still a little damp from the rain and tears, fluttered against his cheekbones. his soft, puffy pink lips, open slightly as breaths came through them. his little button nose, a droplet of water still on it. he looked beautiful.

in a few minutes they had arrived at josh's apartment, a small but clean one near a park. he parked the car in the shared garage and stayed in the car for a moment, watching tyler a little longer to drink in every perfect detail of his face. he ran a hand through his own faded dyed-red hair before finally getting out of the car and opening the door on tyler's side. he touched his slender arm, draped over his chest, and quietly said his name so he would wake gently. tyler stirred, his eyes opening the tiniest bit before closing again as he let a little sleepy sigh escape his lips. his eyes still closed, he made grabby hands at josh, a little insistent sound slipping out as he unbuckled his seatbelt. josh smiled and hesitantly wrapped one hand around his legs and one under his shoulders to pick him up bridal style. tyler wrapped his arms around josh's neck and nuzzled it, bringing himself as close to josh as possible. he was sure tyler could feel his heart pounding.