My Tearsoaked Heart *{39}*

Start from the beginning

The woman of her later forties smiled broadly at me, causing slight wrinkles at the edges of her eyes as she pulled me in for a hug.

Releasing me she held my shoulders as she viewed me over, smiling. “Wow Rose, you’re all grown up and so beautiful as well.”

Lyn was my dad’s older sister. I rarely ever got to see her because her occupation was, let’s just say a historian, travelling the world to uncover ancient artefacts and objects of historic importance.

“What are you doing here?” I asked her, a small smile coming to my lips though it faded as I saw her frown.

“I heard about what happened to everyone. I’m so sorry.”

I shook my head, pushing down the rush of sadness. “It’s okay, I’m just glad you’re here. But aren’t you supposed to be in Africa?”

She nodded, smiling slightly. “I was, but as soon as I heard I came immediately. It’s hard to communicate with those outside of Africa, no wireless out there.”

She laughed.

“Anyway, I’m here to take you with me. To become your legal guardian.”

That part shocked me. “Whoa, wait a second. Take me where? And what do you mean become my legal guardian? I can’t, I have a guardian already.”

“To Africa of cours---, wait. You have a guardian? Who?”

“Me.”

I turned my head to find Matthew walk through the front door, his brow furrowed in confusion.

“Who are you?” Aunt Lyn questioned Matthew and I moved so we were all facing each other in a triangle set up.

He stuck his hand out to her that she shook. “Matthew Gray. And you are?”

“Lyn Fern, Rose’s Aunt.”

He nodded, taking a step closer to me.

“How did you become her guardian? Are you two together?”

My eyes shot up and towards Matthew, blushing when our eyes connected before looking hastily back to Aunt Lyn.

“No! No, just… we’re close friends. He’s not actually the real guardian, only temporary one.”

Aunt Lyn sent me a strange look. “Temporary? Then who’s the real one?”

“Now that would be me.”

At the new voice into our conversation I turned to face none of than Nick walking up the pathway and I let a small grin take my lips as I ran towards him.

He laughed as I jumped into his arms, spinning me around easily though then again he was a pretty buff man.

“I missed you Nick.”

His chuckles filled my ears. “Missed you too Rose.” Pulling away he ruffled my hair and I playfully scowled as someone came up behind me.

“How was Australia?” Matthew asked him and Nick shrugged as if he was Matthew’s friend.

“Hot. They have summer during Christmas which is a shame without the snow and all.”

“It’s been a while Nick.” Aunt Lyn came up to stand next to me and Nick looked up at her before smiling.

“Lynelle? Wow, you haven’t aged a single day. I haven’t you since the Christmas dinner four years ago.”

She smiled, hugging him just as two other familiar faces walked up the steps.