My Tearsoaked Heart *{18}*

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          ~~ Chapter 18 ~~

“Mom?! I’m home and I brought someone!” Lisa called, slipping her shoes off and dumping them on the shoe rack near the door.

I followed suit, the smell of baking entering my senses and I was swept in memories. So many good times had been experienced in this house, it felt like my second home. I knew it like the back of my hand, even after all these years.

“It better not be a guy because it’s not the best time at the moment to give you the sex talk!” Catherine shouted back, sounding like she was in the kitchen which would be the reason for the heavenly aroma filling the house.

“Mom!”

We made our way into the kitchen, times of cooking chocolate brownies and cookies with our moms swept over me like a wave, leaving me breathless and on the edge of crying. 

I watched as Catherine, Lisa’s mother, took out a tray of steaming hot, mouth-watering choc chip cookies from the oven. Standing back up and turned to place them on the counter when she noticed who her daughter was with.

She looked the same as I remembered her. Her blond hair flowed down to her shoulders in long waves like Lisa, and her skin seemed to still be wrinkle less, even near the eye corners. She was healthy as a mom in her forties, her brown eyes sparkling like she was still eighteen.

The steel tray dropped luckily to the white island countertop, the clattering sound echoing through the walls as the cookies moved roughly from the unexpected impact.

“Rose?” she asked slowly, looking like she couldn’t believe her eyes, “Is that really you?” she whispered before one of her classic warm smiles took over her lips. She stepped quickly over to me, wrapping me into a heart melting hug, me embracing her just as tightly.

“I’ve missed you around here,” she told me as she pulled, away to look at me properly. 

“You’re all grown up now, tall and beautiful. Not our little flower anymore,” she chuckled and I rolled my eyes, blushing at the compliment.

“I’ve missed you guys too,” I told her though her next words made me want to bury my own grave as guilt rose in me.

“Where is everyone else? I’ve missed Rebecca so much,” she grinned though it faded when she saw my eyes glistening with tears before they climbed over the top. I felt someone hug me and I stood limply in their grasp, noticing it was Lisa I leaned my head on her shoulder. Her being 5”7 whereas I was 5”6.

“Mum!” She scolded and I could just imagine her giving Catherine a death glare.

“What did I say?” Catherine asked her quietly, speaking in a hush tone as if I wasn’t there though I didn’t care; I just concentrated on trying to stop the tears though it was hopeless. Inevitable.

Lisa rubbed my back soothingly for a couple of seconds before pulling back, my tears coming to an end as she gave me a sympathetic look. I didn’t answer her gaze though turned to Catherine, her eyes showing deep confusion and anxiety.

“My family died.” I said, no higher than a whisper and a gasp escaped her lips, disbelief clouding her eyes before she realised I was all serious.

“No…” she murmured, the news going through her brain before looking back at me and pulling me into a motherly hug, “Oh Rose, I’m so sorry.”