Inside The Outsider

Diana's POV

As I glanced up at the ceiling, the thought of Dally goin' crazy on that tree kept comin' to my mind. I didn't think what I said would effect him so badly, but he is very sensitive; whether he shows it or not. Suddenly, a delightful aroma soared through my nostrils, making me shoot up from my bed. I quickly left my room and found everyone sitting at the table eatin' breakfast," Goodmornin' Diana." I smiled as i got a whiff of the bacon, eggs, and pancakes momma cooked up," Goodmornin'." I sat down and immediately dug into my food.

After breakfast, I got ready for school and walked down to Clarice's house," Hey D." Clarice, Cheryl and Lisa greeted," Hey, y'all ready to go?" "Yeah we we're waitin' on you crazy locs." Clarice joked as we all walked to school. As we approached the school from around the block, everyone was standing outside," What's goin' on?" I questioned. We all were peeping our heads in every direction," Come on let's find out." Clarice guided us through the crowd of students till we got to the very front.

  All the teachers were coming out the building with boxes of their stuff in their hands," Mrs.Fletcher what is goin' on here?!" Clarice asked. Mrs.Flecther shook her head disappointedly and walked off away from the building. Unexpectedly, all the students were getting louder and angrier," What the hell is goin' on!?" "We're supposed to graduate soon!"

Suddenly, the principal from our school waltzed out the building," Everyone simmer down!" All the students immediately shut their mouths and turned their attention towards the principal. I'm surprised everyone shut up, but I can see why; our principal was a big burly man who's stare could kill you in a heart beat. "Unfortunately, none of you will be attending this school anymore!" Everyone started to get rowdy again until he placed his hand up," Instead, you all will be attending Will Rogers High School. You all may go home!" "That's the white folks school!" "What we gonna do there!?"

Clarice glanced at me as I glanced at her," We gotta go to school with them now?" I shrugged my shoulders," Maybe it won't be too bad." We all escaped the crowd and walked back to our neighborhood," I have to graduate at a school full of white people who want me dead, how great." Clarice mentioned sarcastically. We all walked back to our neighborhood, everybody from school was outside hanging out; boys were playing music, girls were singing. "How can they be so happy right now?" Clarice protested. "Cause everyone isn't bitter like you." I stated jokingly. She shooed me with her hand," Whateva. I know one thing though--" "Yeah, what's that?" "If ya little friends don't talk to us at school; it's proof that I was right about them."

For the rest of the day, i just sat at home and finished some books I've been readin. Clarice left me to go be with my brother, as usual. Suddenly, the front door opened, mama, daddy, Olivia and Henry came walkin in," We heard what happened, it was all over the radio." Mama announced. "Why are they just now doing this?" "I don't know baby, things just happen." Olivia and Henry went into the kitchen with Daddy to do their homework, while mama started to cook dinner. I stayed put on the couch and stared at the blank television; thoughts of all the bad things that could go wrong at the new school kept surfacing in my brain.

What if they try to beat us up at school? Or try to stop us from goin in there? Or set our buses on fire? Or--," Diana? You alright?" I glanced at the figure before me and sighed," You've been staring at that tv screen for awhile, you alright?" I shook my head and let out a faint laugh," Yeah, I-I'm just--" Mama sat down beside me on the couch and wrapped her arm around my shoulder," I know you're scared about goin to the white school, hell i would be too," I glanced up at her," Just be brave, we've been through so much, I know you can make it through this." She squeezed me tight," Thanks mama." She kissed the top of my head and got up from the couch," Now go on and get ready for dinner."