Inside The Outsider

Once the school bell rang, the halls were bombarded with students rushing outside. I walked along the sides of the hall near the lockers trying to avoid the chaos. In the midst of the ruckus I saw Michael trying to rush by. I grabbed ahold of his arm and pulled him as hard as I could towards me," Woah Woah Woah let go of my—,"
He was on the verge of threatening me until he finally looked down," Diana? What's wrong?" We walked away from the chaotic hall and I pulled him down to my level," You know what's goin' on don't you?"

He furrowed his eyebrows," What do you mean?"

"The whole school has been divided. I mean it was bad when we got here, but now it's worse."
I looked up at Michael searching for an answer.

He straightened his posture and folded his arms across his chest," Don't worry about it. Just stay close by your little white boyfriend and you won't have to worry."

I stood still for a quick moment, wrapping my head around his snarky comment," What you mean by that? Michael?"

He readjusted himself from his straight posture," Like I said. Stay by your white knight and you won't have to worry," he reiterated as he turned away from me and walked out of the school.

I quickly snapped out of my trance and sped out the hallway. Before Michael could leave the school property, I grabbed ahold of him once
again," Michael why are you acting like this?" He snapped his head around to face me. His mannerisms were like stone," Acting like what?"
"Like...Like—" "Like I like you? Cause I do. I've always have. But clearly I'm not ya type."

I stood there fiddling with my hands like a fool," I'm sorry—"
"I'll see ya later." Before I could respond, he had already walked off and joined his friends.

"Where's Michael rushin' off to?" I turned to the concerned voice next to me. Clarice had a hand on her hip with an eyebrow raised. I shrugged my shoulders," I don't know, he wouldn't tell me."
Clarice shook her head," I heard there's gonna be a rumble by the park later tonight."

I turned to the sassy maiden beside me," A rumble!?" She nodded her head,"How'd ya find out?"
"That chubby white boy that never shuts up," Clarice shook her head," and always jokin' around."

"Sounds a lot like someone I know..." I eyed her from my peripheral as I folded my arms," Not me Ms.Thing," Clarice put a hand on her hip as she faced me," I may be loud but my jokes are ALWAYS funny. His are so dry."

I couldn't help but laugh. Whether I liked it or not, she's always right. She quickly joined in my laughter as we walked back to the school building to wait for the bus," Where's ya white boy?" Clarice questioned as she scanned the area. I scanned with her, confused myself," I don't know, he's usually here."

Eventually the bus rolled up in front of us. The negro students loaded on to the bus as usual," Diana you comin'?"
Clarice turned to me as she inched her way onto the bus. I shook my head," Nah I'm gonna wait for Dally, he should be here soon."
Clarice pointed her finger at me," Don't be out too late and be safe."
I rolled my eyes at her attempted scolding,"Yeess mama." She gave me quick smile as she disappeared onto the bus.

I rested against the concrete stairs staring off into the distance. Other students were hanging around talking and joking with one another. I pulled out my notebook from my schoolbag and read over the notes I took in class.

I continued to scan every word and letter until I noticed the school parking lot was empty. I glanced down at my tiny watch, an hour went by and there was still no sign of Dally. I stuffed my notebook back into my bag and walked off the school lot. I held my bag close to me for comfort as I cautiously walked back home by myself.

As I walked through the neighborhoods, kids were playing in the yards with their friends. Having the time of their lives. A smile crept on my face as their laughter filled my ears. I strolled on my way, the sky gradually mixing with the orange of the sun. I finally made it home, still no sign of Dally.

When I walked in it was dead silent," Mama!? Daddy!?" There was no response back. I walked into the kitchen and found a note on the fridge," Your father and I went to the grocery store with the kids. Be back shortly - Mom"

I took the note off the fridge and put it into the trash. I went into my room and set my stuff beside my bed. I plopped my body on the bed belly first and my shoes slipped off with ease. In a matter of seconds, my eyelids were becoming heavy and my breathing was at slow steady pace. My eyes finally fell and everything was black.

"Diana! Diana baby get up it's time for dinna!" My eyes groggily shot open at the sudden outburst. I turned my head to my door, mama was half way in my room looking at me," Must've had a long day in school?"
I sat up from my bed and outstretched my arms," aaaaah yeah, it's always long."

Mama shook her head with a slanted smile," Mhhmm now come on and eat. Don't forget to wash ya hands."
I nodded my head as she moved away from my door and back into the kitchen table. I got up from my bed and made my way into the bathroom. I washed my hands like mama said and stepped into the kitchen and ate dinner like we always do.

After dinner, I helped mama wash the dishes, then took a much needed shower. I slipped on my yellow night gown and crawled back into bed. Before I completely snuggled up in my sheets, I grabbed a book from my nightstand. I removed the bookmark from its place and read from where I left off.

As I scanned the page, my mind kept worrying about Dally. He never leaves me hangin' without a heads up. My heart began to race as a million scenarios kept playin' in my head. He could be in jail, or getting jumped, or drunk off his ass or worse....dead. I quickly brushed that thought out of my head and turned my attention back to the book. This time I concentrated hard on each word, sentence and paragraph.

Suddenly, I felt the base of my bed sink lower than it normally did. A finger crept onto the top of my book, disconnecting me from the page.
I slowly lifted my head and stopped once i reached his icy blue eyes," Hey D—" Dally chuckled a bit," What's the matter doll?"

With my gaze still on Dally, I grabbed my bookmark and slipped it into my book and set it beside me," Where were you?"
"Doesn't matter I'm here now." He crawled further onto my bed, closing the gap between us. His lips were nearly on mine until I turned my head the other direction," Where were you Dallas?" He huffed and rolled his eyes,"I waited an hour for you and you didn't show up."

"Yeah sorry about that doll, I just got caught up in some things."He planted kisses on my cheeks but I turned away each time. He grabbed my hands instead and started to plant kisses on them as well," But I'm here now." I snatched my hands from his grip and pointed over to my window," Get out."
Dally tried to plant a kiss on my free hand but I quickly snagged it away before he could," It won't happen again—" "Get.Out.Now." I said with more sternness.
"Diana—" "I don't want to see you right now Dallas...Just go.I'll see you tomorrow..I guess."

Dally sat in the same spot gazing at me with his beautiful eyes. They got me every time, except for now. Him and Michael and the whole rest of the school boys were hiding something. Maybe Clarice was right about the big rumble happening. My thoughts were interrupted by Dallas' lips on mine. The kiss was short but more and more came.

Soon enough, one of Dally's hands caressed my cheek as the other gripped my hip; completely sandwiching us together. I reluctantly wrapped my arms around his neck. I crept my hand up from his neck into the crown of his hair. I tangled his hair in between my fingers and pulled him away from my head," You're not gettin' off that easy Dallas Winston," He grabbed ahold of my hand and nudged it away from his head," are you going to that rumble?"

He rolled his eyes as I shoved his shoulder a little," Answer me dammit?" "Yeah I am, what ya gonna do? Ground me?," He finally rose from off my bed," you're not my mom alright." I raised an eyebrow crossing my arms against my chest," I'm just lookin' out for you—" "Hey I don't need no one lookin' out for me, all i need is myself."
I glanced at him as he continued to glare at me,"Yeah?" Dallas shoved his hands aggressively into his jean jacket pockets," Yeah."

Before I could say anything else, Dally had already climbed out the window and into the night. I got out of my bed and turned the light switch off. I climbed back into bed, resting my head on my pillow. Today was completely out of wack, from the school being tense and quiet, to Michael and his confession and now Dally. Something big is gonna happen in this small town and I don't want to be caught in the crossfire....