Glossary

Aethyr - A generic term for Man-made magic, "woven" by an order of men who call themselves the Maghi. The purest form of this manifests in the form of symbols and are generated in places called Sanctums.

Aethyr is used to power semi-technological devices and can also be weaponized by the Maghi in its pure form.

Arcane - A generic term for non-Aethyr magic, which can only be controlled by select races. All types of magic are lumped together under "arcane," which can cause some confusion.

Darkseer, The - A powerful sorcerer who tried to plot a revolution against the Emperor of Caradhrain during one of the Copper Moon Cycles. His minions were the Soil-People, Priests and Priestesses using dark magic. Because of his rebellion, a new Imperial Mandate was signed, sanctioning Magic across the Empire for more than seven Cycles since then.

Cycle - A period spanning three-hundred years. A Cycle may or may not arrive with a Copper Moon.

Copper Moon - The Red Moon that is believed to bring bad tidings. Sightings of shades and other evil creatures are common within this timespan. In recent years, sightings have lessened, as the technology advanced, and sanctions regarding magic have tightened.

Eldan - A race of human-looking beings that have long lifespans. Some were almost immortal, depending on the Life Gift granted to them. They are believed to be descended from the gods. Most of them live in Caradhrain and Naldros, though a number have emigrated East of the Empire. They possess some magical knowledge, drawing on the power of the Wheel. (the temporary afterlife where their souls tread, before going to the place of the gods.) The Eldan are believed to have an eight-fold soul, some pieces of which can be reborn in their descendants.

Maghi - An Order comprising men and women committed to the study and development of Aethyr. They are better characterized as a monastic order of scientists. They are a fairly new group, but the Imperial Mandate does not allow them to operate in Caradhrain.

Maghi Rose - The master map that contains all the Aethyric symbols. The Maghi keep adding new symbols each and every time to make it stronger.

Reavers - A group of bounty and game hunters. The original ones were raiders and thugs, then their numbers proliferated when at the height of several Copper Moons.

A/N: Like the Dramatis Personae, this section is subject to change.