Part 13: I've never seen you smile so easy

The wait for their ride was way too short.

They did light the fire again, and this time Cas and Dean sat next to each other, still holding hands. Cas even put his head on Dean's shoulder like Gabe and Sam. Before he knew it, Cas was asleep. And he had woken up to Dean gently stroking his cheek, whispering that the ride had come.

Then Cas was back in his hotel room in Courtney; dreaming about nothing. He was completely drained, physically and emotionally. He woke up with a text notification at 2 pm.

Dean Winchester: come to the studio birthday boy

It was Cas's birthday today. Cas had completely forgotten about it, since his mind was occupied with thoughts of Dean and the tour. And since nobody in the band had mentioned it coming up, Cas assumed there was a surprise party planned for him.

Castiel Novak: no ride? on my birthday? rude

He got up slowly and stretched, still thinking about how tired he was, until he remembered what happened two days ago.

Dean loved him.

He thought about this a lot as he walked to the studio. What did this mean now? What was gonna change? Did Dean even know that Cas loved him back?

He entered the building and went up the stairs to their recording room and the lounge in front of it. Of course, there were decorations everywhere, and Gabe was still looking for a hiding spot.

"SURPRISE!" a few people shouted, but most of the guests just stood up without saying anything. Gabe put on a I-fucked-up smile.

The whole band was here, Sam was here, Kevin was here, Crowley and Bobby were here, a few of the band's college friends were here and for some reason, Meg was here too. Someone put some music on.

Cas' college friends attacked him first, then Crowley gave him a brief and cold hug. Kevin hugged him and said he was here on behalf of the rest of the crew; Bobby hugged him shortly; Sam gave him a long (and cheesy) hug; Gabe hugged him briefly as well but it wasn't cold and Benny hugged him too.

"Hey, it's me, who ruined your relationship," Meg said to Cas and smiled. "No, you didn't. It's better now... I think," Cas said and hugged her "Where's Dean?" he asked and Meg shrugged. "I dunno. So what happened the day before yesterday? Dean kind of ignored me when I asked, did he get mad at you?" she asked.

"Yeah, he actually did, but then we talked..." Cas trailed off. He was looking for Dean. "Are you sure you haven't seen him?" he asked. "He texted Sam saying you were coming, he was supposed to watch out for you downstairs," Meg said. Cas nodded.

"I'll be back soon," he said to Meg and turned around. He went back downstairs. He got out of the building and looked around the parking lot.

Dean was leaning on the wall, drinking a bottle of water. Cas walked up to him slowly, a smile present on his lips.

"You're not gonna pin me to the wall again, are you?" Dean asked and Cas laughed. "I won't," he said. They looked at each other for a few moments, then Dean asked "So why are you down here when your best friend threw you the awesomest surprise party?"

"One, that's not a word, and two, I'd rather be with my best friend instead," Cas said and Dean chuckled. "That is too cheesy," he said and threw the empty bottle of water towards the trash can. It didn't land in it.

"I actually planned this like weeks before the tour," Dean said. "I figured. No one had any energy for anything yesterday," Cas said. "Yeah, the only thing I did yesterday was call Meg to invite her as well. I didn't even leave my room," Dean said.