Part 5 - I'm not Dean's boyfriend

Everything was perfect.

Cas's heart was beating so fast when he decided to hold Dean's hand randomly; just the idea of it made him crazy, but then Dean didn't let go and it was amazing.

Amazing.

Just holding his hand was amazing.

Then Dean took them back to their diner. Their diner. They sat at their spot and ordered the same burger, and at some point Cas made Dean laugh so hard that he almost choked on his coke.

Cas was so happy. He laughed at everything and he was so carefree and so relaxed and even Dean had noticed it.

"You're not being like yourself tonight," he had said. "I'm just happy," Cas had said back and Dean had smiled.

Cas didn't have the guts to hold his hand again afterwards, but Dean certainly did. During dinner, he made an excuse to hold Cas's hand and help him eat fries. Then afterwards on the way to the hotel, he let Cas drive and put his hand on his every time Cas changed the gear. He even asked "Have you noticed how good our hands fit?" one time.

The best part was the end though.

They had been standing in front of Cas's door for a while. Cas had thanked him for a lovely night, and Dean had made fun of him for being so serious about everything. Then Dean had leaned in and Cas's heart almost broke his ribs because he thought he was gonna kiss him, but he didn't. He just gave him a tight hug and put his head on Cas's shoulder.

Cas had hugged him back just as tight and they had stayed like that for almost a minute.

It was the longest hug Cas had ever received from Dean. And the tightest. And the best.

Cas was sure Dean had smelled his hair at some point.

Then Dean had pulled back and smiled at Cas. Cas had smiled back. He knew he had blushed, but he didn't care.

It was one of the best nights of Cas's life. It was better than that one time he went to a Radiohead concert – well, almost better.

Now Cas had woken up two minutes before his alarm, and he was in a normal mood until he remembered everything from last night. He turned off his alarm before it rang and sat up, the biggest grin on his face.

Dean had picked him. Him; over some stupid, bitchy girl.

Cas got dressed and put his toothbrush in his backpack; then left the room, dragging his suitcase with him. He closed the door and leaned on the wall to call Dean on his cellphone.

This exact spot was the place Dean and Cas hugged last night.

Cas didn't know why, but he felt extremely nervous calling Dean. His heart started beating faster than normal again and he felt kind of nauseous too.

Dean picked up. "Hey, I'm in the parking lot outside," he said before Cas could say anything. "O-okay," Cas stuttered and Dean hang up. Cas swallowed a lump in his throat and made his way downstairs.

He went to the parking lot and Dean was there, leaning on his baby with the trunk open. "Morning," he said and Cas smiled at him. Dean smiled back but it wasn't like the last time.

It was a "just get it over with" kind of smile – too crinkly.

Cas didn't know what to do now, so he just held his suitcase and tried to put it in the trunk, but it was still really heavy and he almost dropped it. Dean helped him hold it and they put it in the trunk together.