Chapter 11 (Two Right Feet?)

Start from the beginning

------------------------

I was dressed in a teal, strapless, ruffled dress that stopped a couple of inches above my knees. Of course I was rocking my brown cowboy boots that matched my torso belt and a silver layered necklace that had the color of my dress beads along with others pulled the outfit together even more. 

The outfit was too cute not to curl my hair and add just a little makeup to my face. I needed to look amazing for tonight, and I wasn't even trying to impress anyone. Brant told me to dress nice but comfortable in case I wanted to dance. I did just that.

When I finished getting dressed, I helped Avery find something to wear as well. She had bravely called Jax a couple hours ago and asked him on a date. I had been standing right next to her, my ear pressed against the other side of the phone so I could hear. I was just ecstatic as she was when he bashfully answered back that he would love to go. 

My dad and I, despite the separation over the week, hardly had time to catch up. Whether he liked it or not, he missed Motown extremely and ended up in a old pair of blue jeans, an over worn Motown Highschool t-shirt, and a pair of cowboy boots. I've never seen him happier than he was with Jack next to an old tractor in dire need of fixing. 

Chanel hasn't left Brant's room ever since he retrieved some clothes and left her to get settled. Jives has taken a liking to Stella, and not in the way your thinking. He was tired of cooking high class food. He too was from the country and he was getting back in his roots by exploring Stella's personal cook books while enjoying the living room couch. 

Everyone has done their own thing today, and now it was time to get ready to rejoin together again. I searched Avery's closet, trying my best to find something special with no avail. The girl didn't know anything about a casual dress. I finally went through my suitcases and found a causal dress about her size that I paired with a brown torso belt to help it fit her body more. She grabbed a pair of dark brown ankle boots with a buckle and chains that looked exceptionally cute with the outfit, then disappeared to the bathroom to change. 

I had left my curling iron going because she requested I do her hair too. She wanted to look extra special for Jax tonight, I couldn't possibly turn that away. When she returned looking beautiful as always, I had her sit in front of her vanity and began my magic.

"I haven't told him yet Charlotte," she said when I started styling her hair. I had my heart set on giving her a water fall braid and curling the back to give it a wavy effect. She had beautiful hair that was just dying to be tampered with. 

"Haven't told him what Ave?" I responded while carefully parting her hair. 

"That I love him Charlotte! Keep up here," she told me with a giggle. "Before Brant drove him home last night and we were saying goodbye, he said, bye, I love you, and I stood there frozen like an idiot."

I softly smiled at her through the mirror. "You were just love struck" I teased. She laughed, but agreed. "I don't know much about dating, actually I'm completely clueless after the whole Clay thing, but I do know that you and Jax have something special together."

She blushed at my words, probably wondering if their connection was really that noticeable. Trust me, anyone could see how much they cared for one another. As I finished up the braid in her hair, I moved on to curling the remaining parts on her head.

"Tonight I'm determined to tell him what I was too shocked to say before."

I was proud of her. She hadn't told him yet, but she was going to which made me proud of her courageous attitude. I was a hundred percent sure she was going to make known her feelings to him tonight. "I just hope he's not upset with me for not saying it yesterday. Charlotte it probably killed him when I didn't say it back."

I assured her that everything was going to be fine. Once she told him, he would forget all about that. After I finished her hair, somehow I convinced her to let me lightly do her makeup. I didn't do much, just applied a nude neutral color of eyeshadow and some mascara to bring out her beautiful dark blue eyes. We were all dolled up and set for tonight. 

Arm in arm we made our way down to the living room. Jax would be here soon, and I had to catch up with Austin to get keyed in on the plan. I was about to go searching for him, only to learn right away from Brant that Austin wasn't here. "There was a family emergency" Brant explained. I was disappointed, not because we couldn't finish Austin's genius plan off with a bang, but over the fact that I was looking forward to dancing tonight. "I'm sorry you got all dressed up to do nothing."

One doesn't dress up for nothing. I might not dance, but I could secretly be celebrating Jax and Avery's relationship. Yeah, that's why I'm dressed to impress. "I'm driving you, Avery, and Jax there in the truck, everyone else is riding in the car your father rented." Brant laid a comforting hand on my back. "You look beautiful, Charlotte."

There was no chance of me getting a dance from anyone outside of this family. I had this honker of a hickey on my neck that scared even me. "Charlotte?"

I was going to kill Austin, unless his family emergency was really serious then I'll forgive him. He better hope he had a good excuse. "Charlotte!"

I jerked out of my mind, looking to Brant who shot me a concerned look. "I-I'm sorry" I stuttered. "What did you say?" 

He quietly laughed at how out of it I had been. I gave a sheepish smile, half hugging his side as an apology for not listening to him. "I said you look beautiful," he repeated for me.

I thanked him in a timid tone. When I looked him over, there was one word to describe Brant Young at that moment. "And you look hot, Brant" I said playfully. He was in a snug pair of jeans, a clingy white v-neck, and of course a pair of cowboy boots. 

Proudly, he puffed out his chest and thanked me. I smacked him in the stomach to deflate his ego for him. My father came into the room wearing a light blue button up shirt tucked into his jeans and a pair of boots. Naturally I whistled at my handsome father who came over and kissed my cheek in greeting. "Where's Austin?" he asked.

"There was a family emergency he had to go to," Brant explained for me. My mind went back to my disappointment. I tried not thinking about it when everyone, one by one, started entering the room. Chanel of course was the last one to come in, and unlike Jives who had gotten into the country spirit by wearing some similar clothes as my father, Chanel decided to dress in a skin tight, tube top, mini dress that was a bright neon green. She was bound to be center attention, I doubt it was going to be good attention. 

Jax arrived right on schedule. Avery made me answer the door while she fluffed her hair, smooth out her dress, and of course made sure there was nothing in between her teeth. I swung the door open, flashing Jax a smile when I saw him with a single daisy for Avery. He was dressed more like Brant this evening. Handsome, dashing, cute, was all there with him. 

Since he was here, everyone flooded out the door to go. Stopping Jax for a moment on seeing Avery. When everyone was outside, including Brant and I, Jax got to see Avery in all her wondrous glory.

"Quit staring, Charlotte" Brant said, pulling me out in front of him so I couldn't spy on the happy couple. "You look desperate."

I did look over my shoulder, but this time it was to glare up at Brant. He ignored me by continuing to guide me to the truck awaiting for us to take out on the town tonight. Even though Brant was an attitude on legs, he had his moments with me. Like when we reached the truck, he politely opened the door like a true gentlemen would. That's one reason why we were friends. I think I am the only one who can be attacked by his bad side and still be there for him. Not including Austin of course.

"Are we still sneaking away together?" Brant asked when he slipped into the driver's side. He looked over at me with hopeful eyes. It was wrong of us to be creeping off in the middle of the night in order to get some rest because we've been sleeping next to each other and it was impossible to stop without losing rest. I just didn't want to stop.

On a farm, sleep is vital. You need to keep your strength up to complete farm tasks. We couldn't afford to lose any rest. "Jives is going to be sleeping on the couch, it's going to be difficult."

He shrugged, reaching over and pulling me deep into his side. "I don't care, I just need to sneak away with you," he sighed. Jax helped Avery in the truck, then managed to squeeze himself in. 

"Then I guess we are," I quietly replied. He smiled a little in my direction, then focused on driving us to Peggy-Ann's. Even if Jives caught us, I'm sure he wouldn't say word about our little secret. It wasn't like I was getting into trouble, I was just hanging out with Brant until we fell asleep next to one another in bed. It sounds worse than it actually is. 

Brant and I didn't say anything during the ride, we mostly listened to Jax and Avery as they cutely flirted. Young love was so beautifully innocent. I tried not to eavesdrop, Jax just made it really hard not to when he told Avery that she was everything to him. I'm pretty sure I was melting at their cuteness.

A nudge to my left side got my attention. I turned my focus on Brant who had a smirk set on his lips. "Should I bring something tonight?" he whispered. "Just in case you feel like seducing me again?"

I bit his shoulder for bringing that up again. He hissed at the pain and bit my shoulder back. We almost got into a fight, but he had to focus on the road before he killed us all. I'd beat him up later for saying that. I don't know how that one pair of underwear got into that bag. It could've been wrapped up in my clothes or something. Why did I have to have such terrible luck?

Then it hit me when he parked at a huge barn that had been restored to be a restaurant slash family friendly dance club. It had a huge neon sign hung over the hayloft doors that read Peggy-Ann's. I realized that Brant Young pretty much said that if I was to seduce him, he wouldn't be able to resist which is why he would need to bring 'something'. We all know what that something meant. 

We climbed out of he truck, Brant more or less pulled me out of the truck since I was lost in my mind again. "Oh, Brant" I sang with a evil grin. He shot me a curious look that had a hint of anxiousness to it. "What were you going to bring if I was going to seduce you?" I asked. He opened his mouth, about to say it until he acknowledged how his words had suddenly backfired on him. 

"I would have to bring a pair of handcuffs in order to restrain you from trying anything" he quickly covered.

He didn't notice it, but he was digging his own grave right now. "Then what, Brant?" I asked, clinging to his arm like Chanel does to my father. "Then what are you going to do to me?"

He smacked himself in the forehead, seeing no way out of this one. I giggled to myself when he shook me off his arm and kept his distance to hide his embarrassment. If you can't play with the big dogs, stay out their yard. It's as simple as that.

Happily, I strutted toward the barn like building, shoving Brant when he caught up. He let out a laugh, grabbing me before I could even think about running away. "Careful, Brant, that's my little girl you're manhandling," my father warned. Brant patted my hair, innocently smiling at my father as he passed by with Chanel trailing behind. When he was sure my father wasn't looking, Brant forced my face into his armpit like the mature guy he is. 

I pretended to gag and hack over his nonexistent BO radiating out from under his arms. He actually smelled of a scented deodorant that matched the cologne he was wearing. The only bad thing that happened was that I was sure some of his deodorant wiped off on my face, leaving me to smell like a man. 

"You are such a jerk sometimes" I told him when he finally released me. 

"Yeah, yeah, that's old news, Char." 

We walked in as a group into the barn like establishment, poor Jives holding the door open due to habit. I peeked inside over my father, Chanel, Jack and Stella, astonished with what little bit I got to see.

Brant guided me in by my waist when I stood there a moment dumbfounded by the place. Wooden chandeliers were overhead, wooden round tables accompanied by guest in the far back of the room past the cleared hardwood flooring where many had gathered to dance. A special walk way that would remind you sort of how a wrap around porch would look, it led towards the dinning area where many people were eating some of the best home cooked meals. 

Along the walls where heads of prize winning bucks that some lucky man or possibly even woman had killed. I whimpered at the sight of not only the deers that had been put through taxidermy, but a heck of a lot of huge bass that had been forced onto a plaque. Fox skin was hung up for decoration, we even passed a real bear rug that Brant assured me hadn't been shot around here. 

"You look like you're going to throw up," he laughed when I looked over all of the poor animals that had been sacrificed for either fun or meat. It made me almost want to go vegetarian, I just couldn't because I love bacon, and even though those piggies are slaughtered to satisfy me, at least I don't have to see the aftermath of it.

"I can't help it" I told Brant. "It makes me sad." He actually covered my eyes for me and quietly promised that I wouldn't see anymore of it when we sat down. I let him guide me along, trusting him to get me out of the walk way safely. 

Turns out he was right. The dining area was taxidermy free. Brant explained to me that all the furniture was built locally by a man. The chairs were made out of small wooden barrels with backs attached to them and a comfortable leather cushion for your bottom. The table was made of a large wagon wheel with glass over top of it so you could see the wagon wheel for that country effect. A simple sunflower centerpiece was rested on the table. It wasn't over doing it and it wasn't under doing it. This whole place was perfect. 

A waitress named Becky came and took our drink order. From Jives, Stella, Jack, Brant, myself, Avery, Jax, and my father, we all replied to the waitress that we wanted sweet tea. Chanel replied that she wanted a glass of sparkling water with a lemon wedge. We all looked at her like she was crazy. All I knew was that she was going to be mighty disappointed when she got regular water with a lemon wedge instead.

"I heard something interesting, Charlotte" my father spoke up, his eyes never looking away from his menu. If he wasn't looking at me, that definitely wasn't a good sign. "Something about riding horses again?" He then looked up at me from where he sat across the table to the right a little bit, a gleaming smile pulling onto his lips. "I never thought you would ever ride again."

I stopped riding a little after my mother was taken away from me. I kept at it in remembrance of her for a while, then it became too painful. "Yeah," I replied with a faint smile. "I rode the first day I got here actually. Avery talked me in to it."

I looked down to my menu, only to remember something when I saw a small announcement on the paper that said congratulations to the grad students who finished up college. I looked up to my father, taking a chance as I spoke. "Dad? Can I talk to you alone?" I asked. He looked around the busy restaurant, giving me an unsure look when he looked back to me.

"Can it wait until later? It would be rude to get up now" he explained. It could wait, so I gave a nod. "Unless it's important Charlotte...." he went on.

"No, it can wait."

The waitress returned with a cart that had our drinks on it. She passed them out, even the non-sparkling water for Chanel. I wanted to see her reaction, but the waitress asked me for my order. "I just want some chicken and dumplings please."

She wrote it down and looked to Brant. "I don't know what to get," he muttered. He looked to me for guidance. I understood why, my father was paying for everything so it was natural not to want to get something expensive. 

I leaned over, looking at the menu with him after telling the waitress to take the everyone else's orders. He bit at his lip like a confused little boy, seeing all the possibilities but not wanting to seem greedy. "What do you want?" I quietly murmured. He immediately pointed to the picture of the barbecue pork ribs. Like a steak plate would have been, his plate would have cost a little over fifteen dollars. It came with more sides than other plates, so I thought it was a fair price. 

"If that's what you want, then order it, Brant." He gave me an unsure look. Since he wasn't going to speak up, I did when the waitress came back to him. I made sure he got those ribs. For his side orders, I got a bake potato since I knew it was one of his favorites, green beans, and some sweet corn. I also told her to throw in a homemade biscuit with a honey spread. After all he's done for me, this was the least I could do to repay him. Technically my father was repaying him, but I ordered it. 

"Thank you Charlotte," he gratefully whispered to me. It was no big deal, he deserved an expensive meal, the whole Young family and Jax did. 

While everyone talked among themselves, my dad with Jack, Stella, and Jives, Avery with Jax, Brant and I  silently played games on my father's phone that I borrowed while we waited for our meal. Brant was terrible at tic, tac, toe. He got mad every time I beat him. On my tenth winning streak, he had the nerve to bite my arm in jealousy. That's when I suggested we join forces and do some virtual word searches. 

"Brant that's not one of the words!"

He was frustrated with it before we hardly began. Luckily our food came out to distract his mind from how awful he was when it came to games. He got the ribs he so dearly wanted, and you better believe he wasted no time to devour them. Me on the other hand, I ate my chicken and dumplings like a human being instead of a starving animal. 

"No one is going to take that plate away from you, Brant" I giggled. Without thinking, I took my napkin and forced him to stop eating for a moment so I could wipe his face. It probably looked bad, especially since my father thought I was dating Austin. I over looked it, ditching those thoughts to go with my instinct which was to make sure my best guy friend didn't look like a crazy rib eating savage. 

Stella, being the decent mother she is, made sure to spot out any places I missed on her only son's face. One drop of barbecue sauce was really on there. I had to break out the old lick my thumb and scrub it away method. He gave me an annoyed look, scrunching up away for me so I would stop. "Brant Alex Young, let me get it off!" I demanded in a louder tone than I had wanted to use. 

"You are not my mother" he lowly said to protest against my actions. 

I whacked him with my napkin, leaving him to look stupid while I returned to my food. He was so ungrateful sometimes, it ticked me off. If he wasn't a friend, I would've stabbed him with my fork. "Are you two always like this?" my dad asked, his eyes glittering in amusement.

"It's not my fault, it's his" I instantly defended. "You have no clue what he's put me through daddy." Brant pulled me into a headlock, laughing at the fact that I unsuccessfully tried to break free. 

"She's lying Phillip, I'm the one who is being tortured. You saw how she treats me like a child..."

"You have the attention span of one," I spat at him, maneuvering out of his hold on me. 

This led to an argument between Brant and I. We fussed, hit each other, and exchanged words we didn't mean. I would call him a moron, he would call me a blond bimbo. I told him that he was going to be lonely the rest of his life due to he was an impossible human being. Brant replied with, "I rather be lonely than be stuck with someone like you."

When that one hit me hard, I hit him harder in the arm. I looked up around the table to see that everyone had disappeared. Their plates were empty except for a few scraps present here and there. I looked around the restaurant to see that they all had headed off to dance the night away. Even Jives found a lonely girl to dance with. 

It was probably true that anyone rather be lonely than stuck with me. I use to think that if I lost weight that I could find someone to love me. I guess my heaviness wasn't what was driving everyone away. If it wasn't for just now, I never would've noticed that I did have a bad attitude. I don't like Chanel at all, and I didn't hesitate to show that. Jives and I both know what kind of girl she is, but Jives kept his mouth shut about hating her until a week ago. I should've done the same. My attitude was driving everyone away.

How do you fix one's anger? I know Brant hasn't found the cure yet, that's for sure. I slid my chair away from the table, not bothering to say where I was going and just going to look for the restrooms. I found the sign toward the back of the room beyond the many tables around ours. 

People looked up from their meals, studying me to see if they knew me or not. They didn't. I walked down the hall, entering the ladies room where a couple of girls were talking. I hid myself in a stall where I sat on the toilet seat and did nothing but miss my mom. She had been such a sweet woman. Maybe she could've stopped this monster before it was created. 

I resisted to grunt in frustration, instead I let my head fall to the side against the stall wall. To redeem myself, I should probably go apologize to Brant. I didn't want to, he started it after all, or did I start it? I lifted my head and let it fall against the wall again. This was going to suck, but I got up, flush the commode, and headed out the stall towards the sinks. I washed my hands so slow I thought for sure my fingertips would be prunes before all the soap was washed away. 

Why did things have to come to this? I dried my hands with the paper towels from the machine, then slowly, turtle speed, walked out the bathroom door. At the speed I was going, I managed to run into someone standing outside of the restrooms. When I looked up to apologize to the person, Brant pulled me into his chest. 

"I'm sorry, Char..."

"It's not your fault," I insured. "I see that now." He pulled away from me, giving me a curious look. "I'm a terrible person..."

"No you're not" he interrupted. "There's nothing wrong with you, I swear."

But there was something wrong with me. I wouldn't be here if my father didn't think that my unruly behavior was serious. I'm sure Chanel played a huge part in wanting me gone, but the method had to be solid in order separate my father and I. "I'm sorry, Brant. That whole stupid fight earlier never should've happened. You're going to find someone special...." Me on the other hand, probably not. "I didn't mean what I said."

My stomach growled, letting me know that I still had food on the table that I was too busy arguing to enjoy. Brant grabbed me by the crook of my elbow, leading me back to our table where my chicken and dumplings had disappeared. The only plate left on the table was Brant's ribs. Brant offered me a smile, he even pulled out my chair for me. "We'll share," he suggested.

I sat down, waiting for him to sit in order to see what I could have. There was only one fork, but Brant fed me as if I was a queen. I tried telling him that I could feed myself, he just insisted on doing it. "I didn't mean it either Charlotte" he told me while we both munched on the meat. "I'm pretty sure we're stuck with each other."

I didn't quite understand, but I still think I got what he was saying. There was no way Brant and I would ever stop being friends. "I'm still a bad person," I sighed.  "I need to be nicer to Chanel, even if it's fake." 

Brant scoffed in response. "There's no way I'm going to allow you to be nice to her. You are getting no where near that city slicker."

I hit his arm for calling her that. He needed to be nice as well. "You use to think the same thing about me," I reminded. 

He grabbed his napkin, getting payback when he brought it up to my mouth to wipe away the sauce residue from the ribs. I didn't care, it saved me from doing it. "I did not," he denied. "You weren't born in the city, you just moved there. The country has never left you, Charlotte. I do like calling you New York, it's funny seeing that fire in your eyes when you're angry with me about it." 

Only he would get some weird pleasure out seeing me angry, although when he's mad it's kind of adorable. He had two different levels of anger. There was mad that reminded you of a little boy who was ticked off because things weren't going his way, and there was furious when his eyes pretty much ignite into flames. The first one is cute, the second one just makes me nervous about who was going to be killed first.

"You and I both need to be nice, Brant. We'll be lonely old goats if we let bitterness take over our lives."

He let out a goat noise that sounded like it was crossed with a sheep. Everyone around him shot him a odd look that made us both start laughing. "You weirdo," I chuckled out. He shamelessly shoved a piece of rib in his mouth, not caring to close his mouth for the people staring at him. 

"You're just as weird. I dare you to snort like a pig right now. Do your cute little snort that you do when you're laughing so hard that you can't breathe."

I refused. There was no way I was going to snort like a pig. That's what I thought anyway. All he had to do was dilate his deep blue eyes and whimper out a please. I hated how he could make me do this stuff. Despite how embarrassing it was going to be, I breathed in through my nose, mixing it in with a grunting noise that got everyone's attention. 

Brant literally fell out his chair as his booming laughter roared almost over the country music playing above the dance floor. "You actually did it!" he cackled, trying his best to crawl back into his seat. I'm sure his laughter brought more attention than my bad pig imitation. "Charlotte, you're awesome." 

I waved his praise off then hurried him up to the seat so I could finish eating. He didn't stop laughing for a while, not for three country songs anyway which was about nine minutes. I just listened to his joyous laughter, eating whatever he pointed at my lips while watching everyone dancing a couple of yards away.

My eyes found Avery and Jax at the right moment when I saw her lips say 'I love you' to him. Jax full blown smiled at her words. He had a gorgeous smile, especially when it was directed to Avery. The boy was smooth like his brother, wasting no time to steal a kiss from her as they slow danced across the floor. Gosh, it was so beautiful.

Stella and Jack were looking at each other tenderly. There's no telling what they have been through together after all these years. Like my father and mother had been, Jack and Stella were high school sweethearts. It was amazing really. They looked so much in love that it made my heart ache at the sight. It was stupid to want love so badly that it consumes you. I'm just a hopeless romantic, extra emphasis on the hopeless part. 

"Hey, New York..." Brant called when he decided to dig his elbow in my side. I gave him an annoyed look, trying my best not to smile when he flashed me his pearly whites. "Come dance with me."

Who was he, and what had he done with my best friend? He was here just a few seconds ago. I was too stunned to answer. There was no way Brant Young was asking me to dance. I'm pretty sure he told me he didn't dance earlier when I asked him around lunch if he was going to find a date or wait to dance with someone.  

He didn't let me bring it up, he just grabbed my hand and hurried us toward the disco ball lit area. I nearly tripped over my feet trying to keep up, he noticed and swept me off my feet. I was so embarrassed. Anyone who looked was going to get the wrong idea about this situation, he didn't seem to care. He put my feet down on the dance floor, his bright smile still on his face. 

"If this is what you wanted, Charlotte, all you had to do was say so." He took my hands, guiding them over his shoulders to link behind his neck. His hands dropped to my hips, pulling me in closer to him because apparently I wasn't close enough. I felt his hands slip to my back, linking right above my rear. I looked away from his dazzling smile, meeting his blue eyes that showed he cared whether or not I wanted to dance.

"What changed your mind?" I asked when we slowly commenced swaying to Lady Antebellum's Just A Kiss. "About dancing that is."

He shrugged, surprising me when he rested his chin on the top of my head and kissed my hair. "My best friend wanted to dance," he murmured. "I guess I thought if you wanted to dance bad enough you wouldn't mind my two right feet..."

I laughed. "The expression is two left feet, Brant."

He's sighed in response to my correcting him. "I'm pretty sure either way would be terrible, you're ruining my nice moment."

It was still a nice moment even though I had corrected him. I was able to bury my face into his shoulder, relax with the help of his cologne, and feel like everything was perfect. His fingertips drummed against my spine to the words. I would've teased him about knowing the song, I was just too caught up in enjoying my dance. I had separated myself so much in high school that no guys knew me well enough to even think about asking me to dance at any of the school dances. It was always Niona and I dancing together until a slow song played and guys lined up to slow dance with her. 

Jives use to dance with me at home. Brant was actually the only guy, besides Jives, that I've ever danced with. Sad, but true. Brant had no clue as to how much this dance meant to me. "The point is Charlotte, if you make a fool out of yourself for me, it's only fair that I return the favor." 

My laughter was muffled by his shoulder, but I'm sure he knew that I was happy. Too soon did the song end, along with my dance and the night. Chanel had gotten whiney, complaining about her feet that were cramped in her heels. One hissy fit about not wanting to dance anymore and we were all heading home for the night.

Brant and I changed the plans halfway down the road when Avery told us that she didn't want to go home yet. There wasn't much to do in Motown, so we decided to swing by a gas station for some snacks that we would take who knows where. 

When we pulled up to the old country gas station, Avery and Jax rushed ahead inside to find something that Jax declared he was paying for. He was such a gentlemen, unlike Brant. "You're on you're own Blondie" he told me when we entered the vacant store. 

He knew I hadn't brought any money with me. My father was paying the tab tonight so I hadn't really thought about it. "Please Brant, I'll pay you back." 

I followed him like a lost puppy dog around the store, watching as he grabbed some beef jerky, my favorite, and a Mountain Dew. I wanted beef jerky!! "Nope," he grumbled.  He didn't break down to my puppy dog eyes like I had his, it proved he was more bitter than I was. "You just ate half my food Charlotte, I deserve this pack of beef jerky."

I opened my mouth to respond, only to remember that not only had I eaten half of my chicken and dumplings, I ate half of his pork ribs and sides that came with it, right down to that biscuit smothered in a delicious honey spread. With that in mind, I didn't complain anymore. Avery and Jax had grabbed some chips and drinks, then walked with us to the counter to pay.

An elderly man came out from the back with a small smile. He rung us up and took the money Jax and Brant had to offer. We hit the road again, this time our destination being some place they knew of. I sat back and enjoyed the ride while the packaged beef jerky on the dash teased me. I've always loved beef jerky, even back in New York I loved it. 

"I can't believe you're taking us there," Avery said with a nervous smile toward her brother.

"Eh, I'll kill Jax if anything inappropriate happens. Sorry buddy." Jax understood Brant almost as well as I did. Brant was just protecting his sister from getting hurt, it was completely natural. "Charlotte and I call dibs on the back of the truck though. Unlike what you two will probably be doing, we will actually be talking." 

Even through the nine 'o' clock darkness I could see Avery's blush. Turns out the place we were going was a place called Kisser's Ridge. The title explained everything. I couldn't believe that he was going to let this happen right now. He parked at the hilltop and began laying down the rules. "You touch her, you're dead. If you mark her like this..." Brant pulled my hair to the side to show his example of the ugly hickey on my skin. "You're dead twice. If I so much hear any noise that sounds like something it shouldn't, I will rip out your voice box and mail it to you the next day. Do you understand me!?"

Jax numbly nodded while Avery stroked his hair in comfort. I would never let Brant do such a thing, but my own protective instinct over Avery made me say, "What he's trying to say is, behave yourself or we might get ugly real fast." 

I flashed a smile to let them know that I still thought they were the cutest couple in the universe, then I forced Brant out the truck. When I stepped out, I realized that we were surrounded by millions of fireflies. Their flashing lights were almost as beautiful as the starry sky above. 

"Must be mating season," Brant said while looking at all the yellow glows the bugs gave off. 

I laughed at his comment, but I heard that they do flash to find their mates. Don't you wish life was that simple? You go out at night, flick a flash light on and off to find the one you're meant to be with, and be happy. Why were humans so difficult? "Come on, Charlotte," Brant persistent and inpatient voice hurried. "You've got to tell me what you were going to tell your father earlier." 

I caught up with him at the back of the truck where we took a seat on the tailgate. "I was going to ask if he would pay for a year of Austin's college," I explained to him. "The worse thing he can tell me is no, but it doesn't hurt to try."

Brant nodded in agreement, silently opening his beef jerky and leaning the bag toward me so I could take a piece. "You're a good person, Charlotte, there needs to be more of you."

I didn't really think of myself as a good person, just one who cared for her friends because they cared for her. There's no way I would be as happy as I am right now without Niona, Brant, Avery, Jax, and Austin. It was thanks to them that I made it through a whole week without hardly hearing from my father. They were kind enough to keep my mind away from it or make up excuses as to why he might not have called. 

I munched on my beef jerky, watching the fireflies light up the wooded area. "I think you should tell your father that you're not dating Austin." I looked to Brant, internally knowing that he was right. Secrets were never good, and lies were worse. 

He spun the top off his Mountain Dew and handed it to me. I took a sip of the sugary drink that probably just made me gain a million pounds, then I handed it over for him to drink. "I'll include that after I ask for the money."

We talked on while Jax and Avery most likely made out in the front seat of the truck. It was nice of Brant to let them have a little alone time before they had to part ways for the night. Avery just told the boy she loved him, it was definitely a huge thing to celebrate. Thinking about them made me realize that if they get married, Clay and Brant will be brother-in-laws. Their family reunions were going to be exciting. 

"I know this is going to sound crazy, Charlotte," Brant suddenly spoke up halfway through the bag of beef jerky. "But I had a dream that you stayed here with us in your old home. We went grocery shopping, I helped around with your home repairs, and you even bought a horse to keep at our place for when you were ready to ride." He smiled in remembrance of it. "You were happy to help with the farm work and later even helped Avery get ready for prom. Everything seemed perfect, I mean we even fought in one of the scenes...."

"Brant," I whispered. His head turned my way, the moonlight making his wonderfully blue eyes glow like magic. "Are you saying that you miss me so much that you want me to move here?"

He cracked a grin, only to surprise me by nodding his head. "Don't look at me like that," he softly laughed. "I just don't know who I'm going to fight with when you go back to New York. It's not as fun when I make Avery mad."

I shoved him, only to loop my arm around his to give it a hug. "What about my boutique?" I asked.  

"Sell it Charlotte, give it to Niona, I don't care what you do with it as long as you stay here."

He made it seem so simple, and maybe it was that simple. The only reason why I wanted to open my boutique was because of my mother. Maybe it was time to go after what my heart wanted, and right now, despite some things, Motown felt like home to me. I'd be giving up a lot to be here, on the other hand I would be gaining a lot. 

"Aw, Brant," I cooed. "You act like you actually like me." 

He shrugged me off his arm, weakly glaring at me. I laughed when he couldn't help but smile when I hugged his arm again. "I've never heard of someone not liking their best friend," he stated while taking a bite of his beef jerky. "Do you think they're done yet? I'm tired."

I glanced over my shoulder, smiling when I saw that the two in the front seat were still lip locking. "We're going to be here for a while." He grunted in disapproval, but didn't voice his complaints, instead he forced beef jerky into his mouth and let it go. He was getting better with this, and I was proud.

_______________________________________________________________

AN:)

My eyes have grown weary, I apologize for any small mistakes in this chapter. I've been writing this up on and off today and my mind is about to shut down :( Hopefully it's written to where you all can understand.

I hope everyone's day has been amazing! I made sure that this chapter was extra long since my updates seem to be taking for forever. Leave a comment below telling me what you think so far. Also, if you guys wanna make banners for the chapters, you can send the photos to n.buggz@yahoo.com. Some of you have pm'd me about it, so I'm putting it here for anyone else who wants to!

Let's have a Trivia Question!! 

Here's the Question: Charlotte loves seeing taxidermy animals. True or False?