Chapter 12 (Part 1)

*Note: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by aka Kristen Maglonzo featuring music by Tegan and Sara.

Alex

Wanna know what the world would look like on the eve of the apocalypse?

Just walk into Ackerman bookstore on the first day of school.

Granted, there are no zombies or War of the Worlds Alien Machines blasting holes through the ceiling, but there are loads of empty boxes, scattered papers, and panicked students scrambling every which direction trying to buy the books they need to survive the semester.

And, yes, I know this sounds like another one of my crazy-over-exaggerated-analogies, but I'm dead serious. I even Instagrammed myself in the middle of the mob a minute ago just to prove to the universe that back to school insanity is real.

This place is madness.

Not only is the line out the door like two hundred people long, but I just so happen to be the last person in it.

That's right.

Number 200 out of 200.

So essentially, I'm never going to get out of here.

And if, and I mean if, I ever do, Indigo will probably look like the female version of Rip-Van-Winkle by the time I find her.

Fact.

I lean out of line for the twenty-seventh time to see if the blue and gold wearing staff guy at the entrance has actually allowed any more people in or if he's still flirting with the same group of sorority girls he was twenty minutes ago.

Yep.

Still flirting.

This line isn't going anywhere.

The whole store's totally got enough room to fit all 200 of us, but until creepy McCreeperson gets some sorority digits, none of us are getting in.

Great.

There goes my lunch plans.

Indigo's probably gonna be pissed.

What kind of roommate acts like a total flake on the first day?

Me, apparently.

Not only that, but if I stay here any longer classes will end, billions of people will be walking around campus, I won't be able to track down Elias, and I'll miss out on my later day date with--

--wait.

Was I supposed to organize dinner plans or was he?

Crap, I think today was my day.

Okay, Alex don't panic.

This is what Yelp is for.

Just type in Mexican food, find someplace that has half decent pictures and survivable ratings and call Kai with a time and place like a pro.

You've got this.

Yelp dot com here I--

Incoming call from "Boyfriend" (mobile) :

AS: H-hey, babe. What's up? Don't you have class right now?

KR: We finished early, but I'm pretty sure my photo studio professor's just trying to get in good with our class on the first day 'cause he's gonna work us like slaves all year. Anyway, where are you right now?