I turn my face up to him, a smile growing quickly. Kris smiles too, but weakly. He doesn’t like this at all. He’ll agree with Austin on the outside, but on the inside he’s telling me no. Still, they both allow me to hug them and leave, saying they have to find Alex and Sean.

I don’t move from my spot and finish my lunch just before the bell rings. Tonight could be challenging.

~*~

After school, I pull on a different pair of shorts and a tank top. The Lunch Box is always warm and humid on performing days. Too many people push their way into the café and the air-conditioning can’t keep up with the body heat. I’ve learned my lesson. The key is to not wear so much make-up, because it will melt, and to wear the lightest tank top you have—lots of deodorant too.

The entire time I’m preparing for tonight, I’m practicing the chorus of the song. I tend to mix up a couple of the words, and although I know I can fake my way through it, I refuse to give a poor performance. I play the song a couple times on my iPod and sing along, playing with my voice to see what fits. I don’t hear anything from Austin or Kris, so I don’t know if the song is even happening or not, but I must come prepared.

Stepping out of my room, I come face to face with my mother. She looks me up and down, knowing I have a gig tonight.

 Shaking her head she points to my bedroom, “Put something over that tank top and I know you have longer shorts.”

Groaning, I slap my forehead with the palm of my hand, “Mom, it’s hot in there. If I put on longer shorts and a t-shirt I will die of heat stroke.”

She gives me the look and I find myself marching back into my room, slamming the door behind me. I really don’t have a say in this anymore—she tells me what to wear, how to dance, and she has a list of songs I’m never allowed to sing. She’s like my own personal manager. Just—no.

So, I change into a t-shirt with the shortest sleeves I can find and put on shorts that aren’t the heavy jean type, or my legs will sweat. Tying my hair up, I wipe away some eyeliner I had smudged, because I know she’ll comment on that too. She’s outside my door waiting when I open it up. She shrugs at my appearance and then looks down at my shoes and I know I’ll have to change them too. So I do. I trade my boots (which I thought added some edginess to my look) for some girly flats. Mom finally agrees.

Congratulations, Mother, I now look like a preppy little middle schooler. I appreciate it. Note the sarcasm.

Despite my wardrobe change, I’m still ready an hour early and am surprised by the knock at the door and A.J. calling for me. Stumbling down the stairs, I can make out three skateboards and two guitar cases.

“You have some boys here for you.” A.J. winks. I roll my eyes and push him out of the doorway; however, he still hangs out in the back so he can hear everything.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” I ask the three boys who are standing on my doorstep.

Sean answers first, “We’re here to get a little practice in before the show.”

“Alex is with Justin setting up.” Kris adds.

“Justin doesn’t know what’s coming.” Austin smiles, although a little weakly.

I beam at them. Sean decided to help us out. I guess he must be trying to set things straight. He’s done with this all of that nonsense, I hope.

“Great, come in.” I giggle.

All of the boys try to push themselves in at once, failing hilariously. However, once they’re in, I show them up to my bedroom, A.J. smiling like the devil the whole time. As they say in Romeo and Juliet, I bite my thumb at you, sir.