“Anything we can do to help?” he asks. It might not sound desperate, but I know what he must be thinking. The sooner we get this all cleared up, the better.

I think for a moment. Unless they can go back and undo things from yesterday, I don’t think they can do anything to help. This all started over a silly song, but blew up into something bigger when neither Justin nor I could agree. It’s silly, really, how something so small can make both of us go off.

A song. That’s how this whole argument started. A song.

Then it hits me.

Yes, they can do something, actually. Since Justin’s song isn’t happening anymore, obviously, that means we’ve got an open spot for another song, my song. It ought to teach him a lesson. Don’t trap me and I won’t trap you.

“The song.” I say abruptly, my head turning so that I face them both. They both give me a confused expression, Kris fiddling with his fingers as he tries to decipher the meaning. I don’t give him much time though because I explain myself quickly, “Justin can’t do his song anymore. I want to do my song.”

“And you think that’s going to make this all better?” Austin snorts sarcastically, shaking his head.

“No,” I answer, “but it’ll put him in his place. I know I can’t just waltz in and expect you guys to do stuff for me, but think about it. The song’s perfect, and if he’s paying attention then he’ll get the message.”

Kris rolls his eyes, “Bonnie Tyler and Pat Benatar seem to be the answer to all of your problems.”

I sigh and scowl at him, “No, it’s just the perfect opportunity. I don’t play to get even, remember? I play to win.”

“What are you talking about?” Austin asks, pinching the bridge of his nose. They are so not following me right now.

“This war between Justin and I is not over. I thought it was, but he still thinks this is a game of Candy Land. I’m not another piece in his game and I intend to bring him back to square one.”

“You’re overthinking this.” Austin says flatly, standing up now and gripping the counter in front of where I sit, the sandwich in my lap, “Another sassy move like that and you’re sure to lose Justin—and I know you like him, you just don’t like admitting it.”

I sigh loudly and slap the sandwich on the counter. Sitting up taller, I cross my arms and tell him, “Yes, I like him, I’m not afraid to admit it, thanks. I just know how he is and I don’t want to end up like all the others. Plus, you know, Sean isn’t making this any easier. He has me questioning everything. So, please, don’t blame this on me.”

Austin shakes his head, “I’m not blaming you for starting any fights, okay? I’m blaming you for the choices you make that start these fights,” he sighs, “Reese, you’re decisions are going to start something. I really don’t want that. None of us do.”

I turn away from him, catching eyes with Kris, who nods.

Grumbling, I whisper, “I was thinking the song would make him come after me, not start another fight.”

There is a long moment of silence, Kris shifting uncomfortably while Austin just watches me. I don’t move, and I don’t dare take back anything I said. It’s too late. I hate this. Why can’t I just trust Justin and be done with it? Oh yeah, because the stupid scale rings a ten every time Justin and trust are in the same sentence.

“Kris and I will learn the guitar part this afternoon.  It can’t be that hard, can it? I’ll try to get Alex in on it too, I can’t guarantee anything for Sean.” Austin finally says.