Actually, I take that back. I could slap myself right now. Watching her eyes widen as they meet mine, I instantly regret putting one of the other boys at risk for Stephanie’s over the top fan girl trends.

“One of the Heartbreakers likes me?” she asks, her eyes lighting up and her voice rising to impossible octaves as she begins to squeal, jumping up and down. Reaching out, she grabs my shoulders, still bouncing, and questions, “Which one is it? Which one likes me?”

I open my mouth, searching for an answer. I have to be the worst friend right now by doing this, but it’s for the sake of the band. One of them is going to get thrown under the bus, and I’ve only got two options seeing as the rest are taken.

“Alex.” I answer quickly, nodding at my problem solving skills but mentally strangling myself. When Alex finds out he’s going to kill me.

She stops bouncing, “Alex? “Her eyes become glazed over, staring off into space. A small smile spreads across her lips, “Alex.” She repeats, and contentment washes over her.

“Yep, he’s head over heels. Don’t tell him I told you,” I beam largely, “Anyway, he’d be incredibly embarrassed if you showed up this week because he just got a new haircut, see, and is worried about the way the lights will bounce of his hair.” I lie, it’s a horrible lie but she’s buying it, “So, it’d make him feel better if you didn’t come. I thought I’d help him out by inviting you to my party. Wow, feels good to get that off my chest.” I say with fake relief, wiping pretend sweat off my forehead.

It’s like she’s seeing an angel choir in the distance, an airy giggle escaping her pale pink lips.

“Alex! Oh my gosh! Alex! I should have known!” she exclaims, “Of course I don’t want to embarrass him, I’ll come to your birthday for his sake. I must keep my man happy!”

I want to laugh. I want to burst out laughing and never stop. This is just too ridiculous! How can someone even be that gullible? Whatever, it’s helping me so I can’t really complain. But, boy, this girl will believe anything she’s so desperate. I almost feel bad.

 Most of all, I feel sorry for Alex. Welcome to hell, Alex. She’s going to follow that boy like a puppy, take secret pictures of him and hang them up in her locker, and she’s probably going to want to learn to play the drums just to impress him. What can I say, she’s a hopeless romantic. I’m taking advantage of it and I’m not proud, but I’ll sort everything out once I’m back in the Heartbreakers.  Selfish, I know. I’m a terrible person.

“Yep! So, come on over to my house at four-thirty-ish Wednesday after school. Um, yeah, see you there,” The words tumble out of my mouth quickly. I should probably get out of here fast so that she can’t see the flaws in my answers, “Oh, and you don’t have to bring a gift.” I add, mentally rolling my eyes at the tubes of paint and sets of charcoal pencils I know I’ll be receiving soon.

I rush off the welcome mat and stalk down the path to my house across the street. I don’t dare look back at the light blue house and the pale yellow door behind me. Making eye contact or turning back will only give her suspicions.

Oh, who am I kidding? I read far too much into this kind of thing. I just need to relax. Getting flustered and negative will only bring me down. To be honest, I don’t need that right now.

~*~

Wednesday morning I hit the buzzer on my alarm clock, despising its very existence, and do my routine morning stretches: arms above the head, arms to out the side, toes and feet flex and extend, sit up and stare around my room blankly. I’m yawning deeply and rubbing the sleep from my eyes when a nervous flutter in my stomach causes my eyes to fly open and my tired body to bolt out of bed.