chapter 18 ✦ magic in new york

New York City

I felt like a stranger in the city that I once lived in. I found myself forgetting where streets were even though I had memorized them long ago. The Underworld does that to you. It wrapped me up in hell and made me forget about the things I love. I watched Henry from behind as he held Violet's hand which caused me to smile. He looked so happy and hopeful, but I could imagine the destruction he was going to cause if he went with his plan to destroy all magic. We came to an intersection and I looked up at a hotel that looked very familiar to me. I was shocked to what I was seeing. Streams of magic were flowing out of it, going into a huge dark cloud. This whole thing stunk. I looked over at Henry, but he was already on his way to the building. Great, yes, let's go to the big magic storm cloud. I ran across the intersection, ignoring the cars that were coming towards me. I finally got to the other side and looked up. 

"Henry, this is a bad idea. Let's go," I told him, grabbing his arm, but he ripped his grip away from me. 

"No, I'm doing this," He persisted, gently gripping Violet's hand and walking into the building. Why, kid, why?! 

"Henry, wait!" I called after him. I finally caught up with this kid and grabbed his arm again, jerking him back to me. He faced me. "This isn't a good idea. You sound like your father." 

"So? Maybe, I want to be my father!" Teenagers. 

"He wanted to exact same thing, Henry. Believe me, I was with him when he had so much anger in his life, but you know what changed his mind?" He shook his head. "A home. Whether it would be in a crappy apartment or with Tamara-" 

"How do you know about her?" Henry interrupted. 

"We go way back. It's complicated, but that's not my point. He stopped because of a home. That home was probably you, Henry He had so much anger with his father for a long time, but he was willing to push away that bitter magic and come together for you," Henry stayed silent and looked at the ground. Violet just stared at him, shocked by my speech. 

"Are you okay?" She asked him and he nodded. 

"I'm fine," He mumbled. He looked up at me. "I can't have a home until magic is destroyed. I'm sorry, Riley," He started to get a notebook out and a pen. My head felt woozy and I knew exactly what he was doing. 

"Henry, I thought you destroyed that pen!" That was the last I said to him, before I was zapped into darkness.