Chapter 29. Starting in the Root

“It’s time to start your training.” Danzo tells me.

 I nod. It’s time.

Two weeks. I’ve been down in the root training center’s hospital wing for two weeks, allowing my body to rest and heal itself completely.

And now it was time for my training to begin.

Danzo led me to through a complicated number of corridors, and stopped at the far right corner at the end of the last hallway.

“Inside this door will start the beginning of your training. You will not see me again for a while. You must prepare yourself. Failure is not an option.”

“I am prepared.” I said determined, tenaciously.

“Then by all means, enter. I wish you the best of luck, Maki Hatake.”

He disappeared as I opened the door and stepped inside.

It was a small white room that that had no windows. There were two people inside this room already. One of them was bald, big and muscular. He was serious and scary-looking. Well, I wouldn’t let him get the best of me. I walked into the room with my head held high, confidence extracting from me.

I observed the other one, a boy, closer to my age. He was cute enough, with black hair, sort of spiky. Not like sasuke’s duck butt hair, or Naruto’s messy disheveled hair. But an in between, a balance. His icy blue eyes held joy within them, definitely not what I was preparing myself for.

“Are you my teammate?” He asks, jumping up from his meditation position.

“Teammate? I wasn’t aware..”

The other guy cleared his throat. “Yes, This is Daitaro, your new, assigned teammate. I will be your handler, Osamu-senpai. I will be training you and giving you both assignments to complete. Whatever you do gets back to me, so make sure I only hear good things about you two when I’m not with you. And don’t get on my bad side. That’s all I have to say to you two, now show me what you got. Start sparring.”

“Uh, here?” I asked, hesitantly. I did not want to hurt Daitaro-san.

“No dimwit, I want you two to catch the next flight to Africa, and THEN I want you two to start sparring.”

“….”

“….”

“Come on Daitaro, you heard the boss, let’s get to Africa!” I said, pushing Osami’s buttons. Sweet, this was going to be another Kakashi Sensei/Uncle.

Then I remembered. I was here because I had failed in every other option. I needed to get stronger, and joking around wasn’t going to help with that.

I neutralized the joyful expression on my face and turned to Osami, addressing him respectfully.

“I apologize Osami-Senpai, that was uncalled for.”

I got into my begin sparring position and waited for Daitaro to do the same.

His smile that held laughter and amusement turned into confusion at my sudden change of behavior.

Osami-Senpai gave a nod of approval.

Daitaro got into his start position and I threw the first punch.

He ducked, swiftly, his face becoming a little less carefree and a bit more serious.

He kicked and I blocked.