“We can improvise! We’re good at that.” Austin chimes in, nodding to me.

“Guys-“

“Shut up! We’re doing this.” Austin says firmly.

“Doing what?”

We all turn to find Kris standing behind us, holding his skateboard over his shoulder with his eyebrow raised. Sean crumples the flyer and hides it behind his back while I force myself to wipe the shock off my face and look casual. Austin on the other hand is frozen in place.

“Nothing.” I say quickly.

Stupid! You sound so guilty! I scold myself.

“Uh-huh.” Kris says, unconvinced then looks at all of us awkwardly, “So, um…”

“What do you want?” Austin snaps irritably, a pink hue resting on his cheeks.

Kris and him glare at each other for what seems like ages. Both obviously feel betrayed by the other.

“Nothing.” Kris breathes.

“Uh-huh.” Austin imitates.

Kris chews on the inside of his cheek, his eyes hurt as he watches Austin turn away from him.

“You should be going then.” I tell Kris softly.

He glances at me then at Austin again.

“Austin, I-“

“Save it.” Austin mumbles while pushing past Kris and skateboarding away.

Sean does the same and I follow him, giving Kris a cold look as I pass him. He hurt Austin, I’m not entirely happy with him at the moment.

To my surprise we all end up at Sean’s house and quietly follow Sean downstairs to the basement. The house is quite, nobody is here but us.

“We’re crashing that gig, for sure.” Sean announces while heading over to his keyboard and flicking it on, “Austin, get your butt over here. We’re practicing.” He snaps.

Austin and I exchange glances. He certainly changed his mind fast. We choose to not pester him with questions, though and Austin picks up his guitar and begins to strum lazily.

I listen for a while, unsure if I should sing or not.

“Whenever you’re ready.” Sean tells me over the sound of his keyboard. His fingers staccato over the keys and I watch in half a daze. Austin’s playing sounds sloppy and unrehearsed, yet, I can feel a slight rhythm.

I nod and let my feet drag against the smooth concrete floor, thinking of something. A mixture of song lyrics swirls in my head, each song begging to be sung. I pick a song I’ve listened to recently, one that I know most of the lyrics to. I don’t have a mic to raise to my lips, instead I begin to sing softly, more to myself.

This is the best thing that could've happened

Any longer and I wouldn't have made it

It's not a war, no, it's not a rapture

I'm just a person but you can't take it

The same tricks that, that once fooled me

They won't get you anywhere

I'm not the same kid from your memory

Well, now I can fend for myself

“Louder!” Sean orders.

I scowl at him but squeeze my eyes shut as I belt out the next part of the song.

Don't wanna hear your sad songs