I roll my eyes, “Come on, dude, you can tell me anything.” I encourage him while placing a hand on my hip.

He gives me a lingering look before turning his eyes to the opposite wall and staring off into the distance. He lets out a deep breath before continuing.

“How…How do you tell your guy best friends that you’re gay?” he mumbles. His cheeks burn red and he refuses to make eye contact with me.

A smile creeps onto my lips and I let out an airy laugh. His face shoots back to look at mine, hurt filling his eyes. I instantly stop, recognizing the signs and sigh.

“I think they already know.” I say simply while placing a hand on his shoulder.

His eyebrows furrow and he frowns.  A strand of light hair lazily hangs in his face.

“What do you mean?” he questions in a startled fashion.

“Well, Sean sorta-“

“Sean? Of course he would, he’s thought that since the day I met him!” he notes, brushing it off with a wave of his hand.

“And he was right.” I point out.

“Well, not until recently.” He admits.

I stand up straight and tug at his wrist so that we’re walking again. I don’t want anyone to stop and listen in to this. Being gay is like high school suicide. I don’t understand what’s so bad about it, but other people would say differently.

“How do you know?” I ask.

Austin and I push through people. The white walls trap us in a sea of teenagers. I search for an opening and pull him along until we come across a hall that’s less crowded. I stop at a wall and tape another flyer up before he is able to reply.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m the only one in our band that hasn’t dated any girls in the past year.” He says while rolling his eyes. His green eyes flick away from mine as soon as I try to make eye contact.

“So, is there, like, a guy or something?” I tease, nudging him with my elbow as we continue to walk down the light blue and white checked tile floor.

His cheeks flood with an obvious shade of pink and he swallows hard.

I don’t let him answer as I have already decided to answer for him, “Kris.”

He stops and turns to me like he’s a deer in headlights. His eyes wide, his face mirrors shock.

“I-uh-“ he stutters, unable to form words.

I smile in victory. Busted.

“Is it that obvious?” he mutters, his eyes lowering to the ground.

“Well, it wasn’t until Sean pointed it out to me.” I tell him guiltily. I feel dumb for not having figured it out by myself. I stop and tape another flyer up, stopping to admire my handiwork while Austin stands beside me with a stack of the posters. There’s still something bothering him. He sighs deeply and pushes away from the wall. I hurry to catch up with him.

“So, how do I tell them?” he asks, going back to the original question.

I screw up my face in thought. My walking pace slows as I digest the question. How does he? I blow a piece of auburn hair from my eyes and cross my arms. I hum thoughtfully. My eyes shift over to Austin who looks at me hopefully. Subconsciously, I reach up to his right ear and thumb the cartilage. Austin watches me unsurely.

“Ever thought about piercing your ear?” I ask, tilting my head to the side in thought.

He brushes my hand away and crosses his arms.