My face flushes and my stomach flips. I feel the scowl begin to crease on my face as my breath hitches. What a complete jerk. How could he totally lead me on yesterday and be kissing a blonde bimbo today? Wait, what am I saying? He wasn’t leading me on. There isn’t even anything to lead. I hate him and he’s doing a good job of reminding me why. He gives me a crooked grin and drags the girl away. Now I know my face is burning a deep shade of scarlet.

Not even twenty minutes ago we were sitting in literature with him trying to get my attention and get me in trouble. He hadn’t even bothered to tell me about his new fling. When did this all happen? Why is it bothering me so much? Oh yeah, because it hasn’t even been twenty-four hours since he was telling me how desirable I was. It’s all just a joke. It’s always just a joke.

I groan, throwing my pencil down and standing up.

“Everything alright, Reese?” Mrs. Boots asks, stopping suddenly from her paintbrush cleaning.

“Bloody perfect.” I hiss and throw my sketch pad into my open backpack. I zip up my bag and throw it over my shoulder, running tense fingers through my hair. I’m overreacting. Justin’s not my problem.

Maybe it’s not even Justin that’s bugging me, maybe it’s the poor blonde Barbie that’s bothering me. She doesn’t even know she’s going to end up hurt, or maybe she does and just doesn’t care. She is with the school’s hottie, anyway. She’s probably pretty darn proud of herself. Poor soul.

I groan and readjust my bag on my back.

“Sure?” she asks, lifting an eyebrow at my sudden change of emotion.

“Couldn’t be better.” I force a smile and walk out of the classroom stiffly. My eyes scan the hallway and I don’t find anyone. Thank goodness, I do not want to even look at Justin right now. He’s such a lowlife.

I hunch my shoulders and shuffle my feet to my locker. That second of self-control I had yesterday towards him has completely vanished. If Justin even thinks about pushing my buttons today I will unleash my wrath.

~*~

Alex finds me at my locker after school and helps me with my stuff while I pull the skateboard from my locker. I swear everyone is staring at me. I huff and slam my locker, grabbing my bag from Alex’s tight grip.

“Someone’s sassier than usual.” He comments while jogging up beside me, slinging his skateboard over his shoulder, the red design on the bottom becomes visible.

I shrug and hope he doesn’t press the subject. He gets the hint and doesn’t say anything. We catch up with the others outside the school. I notice there is an extra person among the group. I realize that it’s the blonde girl from earlier and she’s perched on Justin’s arm. My teeth grind as I pick up on her fruity scent.

“Jessica is going to come to watch us practice.” Justin tells us. His eyes travel back to the pretty blonde who is smiling coyly at him.

“No, she’s not.” I say quickly, putting my hands on my hips.

The boys turn to gap at me. Justin’s brow furrows.

“Yes, she is.” He insists, shaking her hands off of him and stepping forward towards me. I challenge that by taking a step forward as well. His eyes sweep over my face with question. I return the look.

“And who are you?”

I tear my eyes away from Justin’s face to look at the blonde girl, Jessica, who has just now spoken. I clear my throat and cross my arms, looking at her perfectly plucked cocked eyebrow.