No way. Teach me how to ride my own dang skateboard. P.S. You put a lot of thought into that last message…a little too much thought. Creep.

I watch his face as he reads my note. He smiles goofily while his eyes scan the note. He lifts his face, realizing I’m watching him. When he meets my eyes he winks and blows a kiss. I gag and cross my arms.

He leans over and whispers, “I’ll teach you after practice.”

“Lucky me.” I mumble sarcastically and open my book again.

~*~

I wait outside for the band. When they arrive it doesn’t even phase them that I am without transportation, unlike themselves.  Immediately, they throw down their skateboards and ride off. I roll my eyes when I realize Justin’s waiting for me. Not this again.

I frown as I step onto the skateboard. He instantly places his hands on my waist and pulls me close to him. I elbow him back and mutter, “Personal space, thanks.”

“Fine, I’ll let you fall to your death then.” He says while letting go of me all together.

Without thinking I snatch his hands back and hug them around me, “I’d like to keep the blood inside of my body.” I assure him.

He chuckles into my hair, making my skin shiver, and replies, “That’s what I thought,” Before kicking off to a speedy start down the bumpy sidewalk.

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. I’m the dumbest person on the planet Earth. Why do I do this to myself?  Gosh, he just has to be breathing on me, doesn’t he? Creep, blow your air in a different direction! I think as we make progress to his house.

I can’t help it! I hate skateboarding! I hate that he always has to touch me and I hate that if I fall he will probably fall on top of me. On top of me! The thought is going to make me vomit.

I squeeze my eyes shut and bite my lip.

We are going to fall! We are going to fall! I just know it! We are going to fall! I chant in my head.

Finally the board stops and I cautiously open one eye and peek through to make sure I’m safe. When I see we are standing in front of his garage I let out a sigh and hop off. Justin, however, does not let go of my waist.

“Excuse me? Release!” I snap while slapping at his hands.

He lets go as slowly as possible, just to annoy me, and gives me a cheeky grin.

“Oh, knock it off. You don’t do it for me.” I roll my eyes.

“I don’t do it for you?” he asks, slightly taken aback.

“No, you don’t.” I restate and give him a challenging look which he shrugs off and jogs past me into the garage. Everyone is waiting when I step in.

Practice goes over well. Kris gave us some ideas about how to incorporate the instruments into the sing off. This is going to be fun! We are just redoing what we did on Saturday and then some. I look forward to kicking Justin’s butt and showing him up. It’s on!

All the guys have left, except for Justin of course, and I sit on an amp watching Justin dig through a bin in the back of the garage.

“What are you doing?” I ask impatiently. I just want to get this done and over with. I am very nervous.

“I’m looking for my old board. You can have it as soon as I find it. He grunts while digging into the bin.

“I don’t want it.” I protest, contorting my face to a scowl.