✙ Chapter 14 ✙

Start from the beginning

I gulped loudly at his words. He had thought I was dead? That explained why instead of shouting at me for my escape when I had returned, he pulled me into a hug. Relieved. The word floated through my mind; it was a different word for the time. The mate-pull caused a weird feeling to overwhelm me, but I brushed it away, like always. "Well, I was fine."

"You didn't sound fine," he responded, scowling at me. "You had me fucking terrified, Nora. My first instinct will always be to protect you and when I couldn't last night, it nearly killed me."

"I think you're overreacting," I told him, quietly. "I'm okay now."

"Overreacting?" he repeated, before releasing an unenthusiastic laugh. "Has it not soaked in yet? We're mates, Nora. Whether you like it or not, my first instinct will always be to protect you - no matter what." I took a deep breath; I hated it when he brought up the topic of us being mates. I still hadn't accepted the fact that I was a mate to a werewolf, an Alpha, and I was going to continue to deny it. If my family ever discovered, I couldn't imagine the disappointment, especially from my father.

"I get that," I responded, tossing my hands up in the hair. "But, I'm capable of taking care of myself - God, why can't people see that?"

He frowned. "I know you can, but that isn't going to change my instincts." I glared at him, his words floating through my mind. He took a deep breath, nearly crumbling the map on his desk with his hand. "I just want to know what happened last night - I need to know, Nora. Tell me."

I bit my bottom lip, popping off another lid of one of his highlighters. The mate-pull was urging for me to tell him; to crawl into his lap and explain every single detail. But, I refused to tell him - not until I had figured out some things first. Everybody had their secrets; apparently, he was keeping a secret from his pack about his mysterious meetings and phone-calls. "I'm telling the truth."

He growled. "Whatever." I jabbed the lid back onto the highlighter as he rose to his feet, pushing his spinning chair back. He shrugged his shoulders and walked around his desk to stand beside me. "Lets go eat lunch."

My eyes sweeped around the room. "I want to stay here."

"Why?"

"The books," I blurted, raising an eyebrow. "I want to look at them."

"You told me you don't like the read," he said, skeptically folding his arms across his chest. "And, I assure you, there aren't any comic books in here."

I rolled my eyes. "I just want to read about some things."

"What things?"

"Does it matter?" I countered, impatiently.

"I guess not," Drew murmured, suspiciously. "I'll send someone up." Before I could speak, or complain about another babysitter, he turned away from me without another word. Obviously, he was still upset because I had refused to tell him the truth about what happened last night. I watched him stalk around the leather couches and out the door, not even glancing over his shoulder at me. I shrugged and headed over to the shelves of books behind his desk. The important books had to have been shelved behind his desk - that was where I would've shelved them. I flopped down on the wooden floor and grabbed a thick, red leathery book.

Skills & Techniques

I frowned at the title, though flipped the book open. The first page held pictures of the bones in a werewolf's body, clearly showing how they had more bones than humans. The next page showed how they moved or where they shifted to when a werewolf transitioned. Below the pictures, was a paragraph explaining how to use this as an advantage. I didn't bother reading, not really caring and already knowing enough from my father.