14 - The Letter

Jack slowly woke feeling both very comfortable, warm, and surprisingly well rested. He didn't even bother opening his eyes, because he knew if he did, he'd have to face reality and right now all he wanted to do was spend as much time in this wonderful realm of half sleep, half dream state that he was in. As he laid there, he could hear the sound of birds chirping outside, along with the thumping of a heartbeat that he could also feel close to his face. When he inhaled, as he took a nice deep breath, he could smell a light sent of musk, mingled with some left over after shave, the scent of Mark filled his senses. He also felt strong arms wrapped around his body, which make him feel safe and protected. Though at the same time, he had this over whelming need to also be the protector of whom he was holding. It felt like absolute paradise, and he didn't want to move or do anything to disturb it. Unfortunately his phone had other plans, and began to vibrate on the night stand near his side. He wondered if he ignored it would it go away, and sure enough it did. Hoping that was the end of that, Jack smiled slightly and went back to enjoying his safe haven. However the universe was not playing nice, and soon Mark's phone was going off, and this woke the man in Jack's embrace.

"Wha.." Came the groggy voice of Markiplier.

Jack was disappointed when Mark rolled to his back, and reached over to get his phone. Though he did notice that Mark's hand that was under his neck, was still there, and squeezing him, as if reassuring him of safety.

"What do they want?" Jack asked as Mark was unlocking his phone and looking at the text that came in.

"It's from Bob, the police just dropped off those copies," Mark explained.

Jack laid his head on Mark's chest, he didn't want to deal with it. All it did was piss him off, and he was tired of feeling upset. He ran his free hand over Mark's abs, feeling how his muscles contracted as if the man was being tickled. Then without warning, he felt the pressure of Mark placing a kiss against the top of his head, and he couldn't help but smile. It was like Mark always knew what to do to make the sadness go away.

"I dun wanna," Jack mockingly whined, as he ran his fingers over Mark's stomach.

"I know, but we have to deal with this, it's not just going to go away," Mark said gently as he placed his phone back on the night stand, then laid his arm above his head.

"We? It was my room they broke into," Jack countered.

"It effects all of us Seán," Mark said.

"I know" Jack sighed, "if they can get into my room, they can get into anyone's," Jack said feeling frustrated.

"I was going to say, it puts your life at risk, and I won't loose my best friend," Mark said sounding exasperated.

Jack laid there for a moment and took in what Mark just said. It wasn't everyone he was thinking of, it was him, just him, as if he was the center of Mark's world. He stopped moving his hand over Mark's body, and wrapped it around him, straightening himself up to lay face to face with the man. Mark turned to face him, and they were mere inches away from each other.

"I'm not going anywhere," Jack whispered.

Mark turned his body so he was now laying on his side, facing Jack and he brought his free hand up and slid it into Jack's messy hair, to rest at the nap of his neck.

"I know, and I'm going to make sure of it," Mark said, looking Jack directly in the eyes.

"You can't protect me all the time," Jack said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yes, I can, and I'm going to," Mark said with conviction.

Jack felt his chest tighten at the promise and he felt tears begin to form in the corner of his eyes. Mark watched his facial expression, and then began to lean in, bringing their faces even closer, and Jack, suddenly with butterflies in his stomach, closed his eyes, waiting for the moment their lips would touch. Just as he felt Mark's breath on his face, there was a loud rap at the door, which was followed by much cursing from both men in the bed.